RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS80 Model 100 RE:Classic Computer Ads

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
      >>> Hey, I said "dozens" and you called bullshit

      As Chris noted, I took "dozens" in a colloquial way .... thought you were
      really claiming "a significant amount" and THAT is what I called B.S. on
      .... If you mean dozens literally, as in, some two-digit amount, then maybe
      it's true. But: so what?

      >>> admit that some small contingent of people are still using Model 100's
      for real work

      I did.

      Then I got made when you called me ignorant. Oh, and then I ripped Justin's
      argument to shreds.
    • fairlanefastback
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008

        > As Chris noted, I took "dozens" in a colloquial way .... thought you
        were
        > really claiming "a significant amount" and THAT is what I called B.S. on

        So you made a bad assumption, oh well.

        > .... If you mean dozens literally, as in, some two-digit amount,
        then maybe
        > it's true. But: so what?

        He did post about a vintage computer on a vintage computer forum.
        Seems like a valid thing to post on here no? Personally I found
        hearing of this possibility of current usage quite interesting. Why
        discourage good content to the list?

        > Then I got made when you called me ignorant.

        He was not calling you personally stupid. In context it did not seem
        to be a personal insult at all. You just took it that way it seems.
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
          >>> Seems like a valid thing to post on here no? Personally I found hearing
          of this possibility of current usage quite interesting. Why discourage good
          content to the list?

          Of course it's a valid post. Nobody said otherwise.

          I just (ahem) vehemently disagreed with his conclusion.
        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
            Ahh, your "so what?" response gave me a different impression I guess.
            Cool thats not what you meant. :)

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2009
              Hello all,

              Yes, I'm catching up on messages...

              The NADS boxes (emulates a Tandy Portable Disk Drive using standard
              flash memory) cost $150 and I'll bet they made a lot more than three
              dozen in the first batch. People would not be willing to spend that much
              money if they did not plan to actually use the device and the M100 that
              makes it useful. A second patch is being made. Evan, it looks like there
              must be hundreds - maybe thousands - of M100s still in (near) daily use.
              Now how many are used daily or by actual journalists is another matter,
              but there are not many devices as light and easy to use as the M100 that
              have a full sized keyboard with full travel keys. Plus there are all
              kinds of journalists. In it's heyday, the M100 was reputed to be quite
              popular with newspaper reports, particularly sports reporters. They
              could set it up in the press box and type up their report during the
              game and then look for a payphone to send it in at 300 baud using the
              acoustic couplers accessory. I doubt many reporters used an M100 in the
              office.

              It is a fabulous device for entering text and it does not surprise me at
              all that people would use if often - and not just as part of a
              collection - if they found it useful.

              Evan, sometime you might like to read thru my collection of M100 and
              Pico Magazines. I have most issues of both magazines and a few issues of
              some other early portable computer magazines.

              Jim