TRS80 Model 100 RE:Classic Computer Ads

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
      I think what Brian is saying is that these things took AAs, which is a fairly standard battery.

      With modern laptops you have to find a place to charge your battery and lets be honest extra batteries don't hold their charge like alkalines, with the Model 1xx, all you had to do was carry around a box of AAs.

      I don't doubt that some people are still using these. Brian said there were dozens, not thousands, so while there may not be a legion of people using them, there are probably people who still do. I mean I help a fashion writer and one of her papers requires a dialup to send her articles in txt format. That's the way they work.. What do you want me to tell you?

      Also how many people you know who STILL use old machines because they use an Application and never migrated off? I mean I picked up a kaypro II and IBM 5150 with monitor and printer within the last 2 years (I know because I have been single the last 2 years)  because people finally stopped using them.

      BTW: Bill... There is a market for these, look up the Alphasmart products [http://www.alphasmart.com/Retail/]. They are palm based and run a long time on one charge and they use AA batteries. They are built for writers,. I thought about getting one of these for school if I go back to get my masters.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008

        [http://www.alphasmart.com/Retail/%5d. They are palm based and run a long
        time on one charge and they use AA batteries. They are built for writers,.
        I thought about getting one of these for school if I go back to get my
        masters.

        I should have been clearer, I meant why is Tandy not still selling model
        100's if there are so many users today? They still sell other products
        unchanged from the 80's like box tape recorders.
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
          Brian was very clear; I don't think anyone was confused about what he meant.

          >>> I don't doubt that some people are still using these

          And I don't doubt that SOME people still have regular license plates and
          commute to work in 1946 Buicks. But if someone wrote, "Reality check, most
          people have modern cars," then I wouldn't reply with, "You are ignorant
          because you haven't checked out a used car dealership in Cuba lately!"

          See?

          Anyway, Justin's original quote from the Tandy book was: "In 1999, columnist
          Pete Waldmeir of the Detroit News wrote a column saying the News technical
          support people had insisted he finally give up his Model 100 (it was not Y2K
          compliant), which he was still using. Ed Juge also told us the same year he
          had encountered many reporte[rs] still using Model 100s during the frequent
          traveling he was doing for his post-Tandy work."

          I did some Googlin' about Mr. Waldmeir (it's only fair since I called him an
          "old fart" without getting to know him first!)
          According to the Society for Professional Journalists (of which I am a
          paying member):

          has been a must-read in Detroit journalism for more than half a century.
          Waldmeir, 69, says he's not going away anytime soon, despite having 51 years
          under his belt at The Detroit News. ... He started at The News as a copyboy
          in 1949, spending a lot of his own time at 1300 Beaubien watching the old
          crime reporters do their work. Eventually, he volunteered to check for news
          with the various police units and would run to the Athens Bar to roust the
          reporters if he found some news. He began writing columns in 1963, filling
          in for Doc Greene when Doc was on a bender.

          Source:
          http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-06
          -2000/0001236962&EDATE=

          In other words, Waldmeir may be a great reporter, but he's also a beloved
          "resident curmudgeon" who today is at least 77 years old. He may indeed use
          a Model 100 for his writing .... Along with the hand-cranked car he drives
          and the outhouse he visits rather than trust that new-fangled indoor
          plumbing.

          I also did some Googlin' about Mr. Juge. As far as I can tell, he role was
          "Tandy marketing guy". Folks, it doesn't take a journalist to know that
          credible book authors (let alone credible historians!) do not declare as
          "fact" anything based on what a vendor's former marketing guy said.

          All that leaves us with is Brian's speculation and name-calling.

          [http://www.alphasmart.com/Retail/%5d. They are palm based and run a long time
          on one charge and they use AA batteries. They are built for writers,. I
          thought about getting one of these for school if I go back to get my
          masters.
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
            Hi Gang:

            Interesting points about the Tandy 100/102..etc.

            Let the record read: I still have one. And (ahem) I decided to
            keep it. Also have the Tandy carry bag for it.
            And documents I created back in the prior millennium are still in
            memory. (Not that I really need them).
            I'm not sure, but I think there was a way to expand RAM on the 102...
            but I'm not sure. If that was true,
            I wish I had added it. I doubt I could find the RAM now.

            There is -a lot- of charm to gear that runs with power from AA
            cells. Same is true in the ham radio field.

            73 de Ray
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
              >>> I still have one.

              So do many of us. But as a collectors' items, not daily drivers.
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                Not disputing that they're not in common use, but there is a fairly large community of active users and developers of these old beasties.

                Check out the NADS box, the upcoming REX and more at www.club100.org .
                They're mailing list is more active than MARCH.

                Kelly
                So do many of us. But as a collectors' items, not daily drivers.

                .
                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=14379032/grpspId=1705566162/msgId=10849/stime=1230738658/nc1=3848583/nc2=5202317/nc3=5191953>
              • Ray Sills
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                  Wow! Thanks for that link, Kelly!

                  73 de Ray
                  On Dec 31, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                  > Not disputing that they're not in common use, but there is a fairly
                  > large community of active users and developers of these old beasties.
                  >
                  > Check out the NADS box, the upcoming REX and more at www.club100.org .
                  > They're mailing list is more active than MARCH.
                  >
                  > Kelly

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                    Why isn't Radio Shack selling Tandy x86 computers. People still use x86 computers.

                    I think you guys read dozens and translated to thousands.  If three dozen people use the computer, that's 36 people. If you look up model 100 users you will find a few dozen.

                    Here is the HAM list and I counted 145, who knows how accurate it is, but it's there.

                    http://www.club100.org/mtralist.html

                    There is enough of a market for them to make NADS (I cannot believe they named it NADS, By Model T has NADS.. Heh Heh Heh ) box and they sold out the 1st batch.

                    http://www.club100.org/
                    The first batch of NADSBoxes are sold out. A second batch is in process. To get on the waiting list for a NADSBox send an email to rick@.... Names on the 2nd batch list before 1/1/09 will get a NADSBox at the introductory price even if it is shipped after the first.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                      Club100 is indeed a very useful site.

                        > Brian was very clear; I don't think anyone was confused about what
                        he meant.

                        > And I don't doubt that SOME people still have regular license
                        plates and
                        > commute to work in 1946 Buicks. But if someone wrote, "Reality
                        check, most
                        > people have modern cars,"

                        I'm not sure what "regular license plates" mean, but I do know people
                        who commute to work in air-cooled VW Beetles (a classic car that
                        really STILL is a "daily driver").

                        There is no market for a large company when your user-base is less
                        than thousands, otherwise, someone would still be punching out brand-
                        new Commodore 64's...

                        > All that leaves us with is Brian's speculation and name-calling.

                        Hey, I said "dozens" and you called bullshit. Just admit that some
                        small contingent of people are still using Model 100's for real work,
                        and the argument is over.

                        What's the issue?
                      • fairlanefastback
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                          Why don't you meet him half way Evan and admit its at least possible
                          and end this silly thing? ;p

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                            >>> Hey, I said "dozens" and you called bullshit

                            As Chris noted, I took "dozens" in a colloquial way .... thought you were
                            really claiming "a significant amount" and THAT is what I called B.S. on
                            .... If you mean dozens literally, as in, some two-digit amount, then maybe
                            it's true. But: so what?

                            >>> admit that some small contingent of people are still using Model 100's
                            for real work

                            I did.

                            Then I got made when you called me ignorant. Oh, and then I ripped Justin's
                            argument to shreds.
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008

                              > As Chris noted, I took "dozens" in a colloquial way .... thought you
                              were
                              > really claiming "a significant amount" and THAT is what I called B.S. on

                              So you made a bad assumption, oh well.

                              > .... If you mean dozens literally, as in, some two-digit amount,
                              then maybe
                              > it's true. But: so what?

                              He did post about a vintage computer on a vintage computer forum.
                              Seems like a valid thing to post on here no? Personally I found
                              hearing of this possibility of current usage quite interesting. Why
                              discourage good content to the list?

                              > Then I got made when you called me ignorant.

                              He was not calling you personally stupid. In context it did not seem
                              to be a personal insult at all. You just took it that way it seems.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                                >>> Seems like a valid thing to post on here no? Personally I found hearing
                                of this possibility of current usage quite interesting. Why discourage good
                                content to the list?

                                Of course it's a valid post. Nobody said otherwise.

                                I just (ahem) vehemently disagreed with his conclusion.
                              • fairlanefastback
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                                  Ahh, your "so what?" response gave me a different impression I guess.
                                  Cool thats not what you meant. :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 5, 2009
                                    Hello all,

                                    Yes, I'm catching up on messages...

                                    The NADS boxes (emulates a Tandy Portable Disk Drive using standard
                                    flash memory) cost $150 and I'll bet they made a lot more than three
                                    dozen in the first batch. People would not be willing to spend that much
                                    money if they did not plan to actually use the device and the M100 that
                                    makes it useful. A second patch is being made. Evan, it looks like there
                                    must be hundreds - maybe thousands - of M100s still in (near) daily use.
                                    Now how many are used daily or by actual journalists is another matter,
                                    but there are not many devices as light and easy to use as the M100 that
                                    have a full sized keyboard with full travel keys. Plus there are all
                                    kinds of journalists. In it's heyday, the M100 was reputed to be quite
                                    popular with newspaper reports, particularly sports reporters. They
                                    could set it up in the press box and type up their report during the
                                    game and then look for a payphone to send it in at 300 baud using the
                                    acoustic couplers accessory. I doubt many reporters used an M100 in the
                                    office.

                                    It is a fabulous device for entering text and it does not surprise me at
                                    all that people would use if often - and not just as part of a
                                    collection - if they found it useful.

                                    Evan, sometime you might like to read thru my collection of M100 and
                                    Pico Magazines. I have most issues of both magazines and a few issues of
                                    some other early portable computer magazines.

                                    Jim