Projects and stuff

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2008
      We hear you Mr. Evan. Your soup is ready.

      Anyway,

      I thought that some of you would be interested in a few of the things that I have been doing

      1) Last night I successfully installed an 8088 co-processor into the CBM-256 computer I brought to the holiday party. I even got MS DOS 1.25 to boot, as well as a few versions of Commodore BIOS CP/M. Here are the details and pictures:

      2) I wrote a little Commodore SuperPET for dummies, plus the code listing from the Waterloo Pascal program I wrote for VCF E

      3) S-100 board testing with Bob Grieb's Z-80 ICE

      Last week I met with Bob Grieb and he demoed his ├╝ber cool hand-made Z80 ICE, which is made to be plugged into the Z80 slot of computer or controller card. Bob built his "PIC-based circuit that could emulate a Z80 for displaying memory, writing to I/O ports, etc. as an aid to troubleshooting..." Bob's modern version is based on the Nicolet Paratronics Z80 emulator called the Z80 NICE.
      More:

      We tried the device on Z80's whose company name starts with "California"
      California Computer Systems 2200 Series "mainframe" S-100 computer:
      http://vintagecomputer.net/California_Computer_Systems/
      -and-
      California Technology International 1108-A with built-in Micro Communications Corp. stringy floppy drive
      Although we could read the on-board PROM, this system is still a mystery!

      LASTLY

      4) Bob took a stab at fixing an old MITS calculator I have. He replaced the zener/restistor combo with a newer three-pronged resistor, but we were unable to determine what was wrong with the logic ROMs. Bob is going to work more on this asap.

      AND MORE LASTLY

      5) Happy Holidays!

      NEXT - (in no particular order)
      1) Xerox 820-II disk archiving