First Philadelphia Computer Music Festival 1978

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
      Hi all,

      Thought this was interesting,

      Found it at http://www.vintagecomputermusic.com/index.php

      Was looking for info about the synthesis of "Daisy Bell" at Bell labs in 1962. This website has
      some interesting recordings form 1978. I think it would be neat if MARCH could assemble a
      vintage computer music system using some of the methods described on the website. I
      thought the sound of the Newtech system was interesting and rather good compared to
      some of the others.

      Just another one of my crazy thoughts.

      Matt
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2008
        Matt,
        I especially liked Hal Chamberlin's
        http://www.vintagecomputermusic.com/notran_system.php

        Hal also has a lot of articles in computer magazines of the mid 70's,
        but you don't hear much from him in these times.

        This must have been quite an event.

        I dabble in computer music myself. I brought a little of it to the
        holiday party. I also collect old synthesizer records when I can find
        them. One of these days I will bring my theremin, maybe the next
        holiday party!

        A VCF theme????

        Bill

        Matt Patoray wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Thought this was interesting,
        >
        > Found it at http://www.vintagecomputermusic.com/index.php
        >
        > Was looking for info about the synthesis of "Daisy Bell" at Bell labs in 1962. This website has
        > some interesting recordings form 1978. I think it would be neat if MARCH could assemble a
        > vintage computer music system using some of the methods described on the website. I
        > thought the sound of the Newtech system was interesting and rather good compared to
        > some of the others.
        >
        > Just another one of my crazy thoughts.
        >
        > Matt

      • mejeep_ferret
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2008
        • Matt Patoray
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2008
            Yeah, I know about the vocoder and voder. I was just allways curious why HAL sang "Daisy" when he was decomissioned. I did not know that it was becuse of AT&T Bell Labs.

            I think some computer music on an S-100 computer would be cool, in a nice retro way :)

            Matt

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Dec 11, 2008, at 2:37 AM, "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...> wrote:

            > Was looking for info about the synthesis of "Daisy Bell"
            > at Bell labs in 1962. This website has
            > some interesting recordings form 1978.

            How about the 1393 & 1964 World's Fair Voder and Vocoder?

            http://64.233. 169.132/search? q=cache:mna5fwSA WocJ:www. ieee-virtual-museum.org/ collection/ tech.php% 3Fid%3D2345940% 26lid%3D1+ vocoder+world's+fair&hl=en& ct=clnk&cd= 1&gl=us

            http://www.wendycar los.com/vocoders .html
            http://www.ethanham .com/blog/ 2008/07/vocoders .html
            http://americanhist ory.si.edu/ archives/ speechsynthesis/ ss_btl1.htm

          • rkushnier
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2008
              FYI

              The box of Kim-1 stuff I donated to MARCH has the original D/A
              converter module designed by Hal Chamberlin of Micro Technology
              Unlimited. I believe this also works with the PET. I forget if I
              included the software in the box.

              I have the article from April 1960 BYTE describing "Advanced Real-
              Time Music Synthesis Techniques" by Hal, if anyone is interested.

              I remember the first time I heard the incredible four part harmony
              coming from my little KIM. It was absolutely amazing!

              Ron Kushnier
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2008
                Is Hal still around? Is he a east coast native? He'd be a great
                speaker for a VCF.

                Bill

                rkushnier wrote:
                > FYI
                >
                > The box of Kim-1 stuff I donated to MARCH has the original D/A
                > converter module designed by Hal Chamberlin of Micro Technology
                > Unlimited. I believe this also works with the PET. I forget if I
                > included the software in the box.
                >
                > I have the article from April 1960 BYTE describing "Advanced Real-
                > Time Music Synthesis Techniques" by Hal, if anyone is interested.
                >
                > I remember the first time I heard the incredible four part harmony
                > coming from my little KIM. It was absolutely amazing!
                >
                > Ron Kushnier

              • rkushnier
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2008

                  > Is Hal still around? Is he a east coast native? He'd be a great
                  > speaker for a VCF.
                  >
                  > Bill

                  According to GOOGLE he works for Young Chang Research and Development
                  Institute, Waltham, Massachusetts.

                  Ron
                • Ray Sills
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2008
                    It might be because "Daisy" is in public domain. So was a lot of the
                    other music used.

                    73 de Ray