IBM PC Collectors and collections

  • wpileggi
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 2:57 PM
      Regarding the IBM PC, it was manufactured over a 6 year span. There
      were quite a few changes during the production run. Hence, there are a
      LOT of them floating about, mostly worth nil, especially "B" models. I
      had examples of all of them. The first general production run had 16Kb
      (RAM) motherboards; the power supply and rear panels were painted
      black; and the 8080 CPU had a bug (shades of the much later Pentium).
      THOSE are the coolest and actually valuable PC's. The rest?....

      An interesting aside: a fellow I know who worked for IBM in Australia
      says the power supplies were always blowing up....the early ones
      didn't get the power supply quite right. Bill/KA3AIS
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 10:57 PM
        early on I would say most uP's have bugs. It took
        Motorola some time to get the 68000 correct. As to the
        power supplies, some of the AT's had issues, can't
        remember what, but they had warnings posted on them
        saying this or that would happen if this or that
        was/wasn't done. Vague I know. And it's also my
        understanding that the original IBM mono monitors
        would explode if they were plugged into a CGA card.
        I'm not willing to try this though.
        I think I may have reached my qouta for the week.
        Evan seems to have a problem with my posts. I'll have
        to investigate the matter further to see if the
        problem is reconcilable.

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 7:43 AM
          Chris,

          I suspect you're referring to IBM's anti-overclocking moves: Early IBM AT's
          ran at 6MHz on chips rated at 8Mhz. This was done purely because of IBM's
          conservative design philosophy. The first AT clones ran at 8MHz and were
          faster. Duh! So IBM released the AT Model 339 running at 8MHz (I had one at
          work for several years) and the clones quickly moved to 10, 12, and 16MHz.
          And so overclocking became an industry. Naturally IBM thought this was
          ~*BAD*~ and took steps in the BIOS to prevent overclocking. I do not know if
          they actually had a warning label, but a machine with such a label might be
          "more collectible".

          Early IBM monitors (and all?? computer monitors of those years) were single
          frequency. The MDA (monochrome) adapter had a higher vertical sync frequency
          than the CGA adapter so monitor damage was probably quite possible.

          The NEC Multisync was (I believe) the first multi-frequency monitor. It
          predated the VGA standard but accepted both digital (MDA, CGA, EGA) and
          analog (VGA) inputs. This would qualify as 'vintage' in my book.
          Unfortunately my NEC Multisync finally gave up a few years ago after decades
          of use on EGA and then VGA graphics. (Returning to my original digression...)
          It is still possible to fry a monitor by feeding it the wrong frequencies.
          While today's monitors are much more tolerant, today's graphics cards can do
          things undreamed of a few years ago, so caution is always warranted when
          connecting a monitor to a computer for the first time. They don't call it
          "Safe Mode" for nothin'.

          Jim

          --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

          > early on I would say most uP's have bugs. It took
          > Motorola some time to get the 68000 correct. As to the
          > power supplies, some of the AT's had issues, can't
          > remember what, but they had warnings posted on them
          > saying this or that would happen if this or that
          > was/wasn't done. Vague I know. And it's also my
          > understanding that the original IBM mono monitors
          > would explode if they were plugged into a CGA card.
          > I'm not willing to try this though.
          > I think I may have reached my qouta for the week.
          > Evan seems to have a problem with my posts. I'll have
          > to investigate the matter further to see if the
          > problem is reconcilable.
          >
          > --- wpileggi <wpileggi@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Regarding the IBM PC, it was manufactured over a 6
          > > year span. There
          > > were quite a few changes during the production run.
          > > Hence, there are a
          > > LOT of them floating about, mostly worth nil,
          > > especially "B" models. I
          > > had examples of all of them. The first general
          > > production run had 16Kb
          > > (RAM) motherboards; the power supply and rear panels
          > > were painted
          > > black; and the 8080 CPU had a bug (shades of the
          > > much later Pentium).
          > > THOSE are the coolest and actually valuable PC's.
          > > The rest?....
          > >
          > > An interesting aside: a fellow I know who worked for
          > > IBM in Australia
          > > says the power supplies were always blowing
          > > up....the early ones
          > > didn't get the power supply quite right. Bill/KA3AIS

          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4 12:51 AM
            My first (compatible) PC was an ITT Xtra XP. I don't
            think it would run Longhorn though. Nor Shorthorn. It
            had a 6mhz crystal (12 mhz I think actually). I went
            out and bought a 16, or possibly swapped it out of my
            Tandy 2000, which ran at 8mhz, and plugged it in. The
            speed differential was noticeable, not blinding
            though.
            Come to think of it the original PC divided the
            crystal frequency by 3, so I don't know what
            frequencies were required for a '286. Therefore ignore
            all the above.
            I think the IBM monitor would explode if you plugged
            it into a CGA card. This is what I've heard. Good ol'
            Big Blue. Again, don't try it at home (or work).
            The NEC created the Multisync. I found one at TCF for
            3 bucks :). Not for sale...sorry. My first one, a
            Multisync II, I still have, and it probably has about
            200 hours on the tube. It's flakey though. When I get
            a chance, I got to crack it open and have a looksee.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs