RE: [midatlanticretro] InfoAgo Chat? Monday?

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
      Coming.

      Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch.  I assume you mean the plastic "slap"
      lever switch.  I have a bunch of those.  I don't have a spare "rocker" style power switch.
      But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).  Also, bringing various tools
      and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.

      Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips.  Should I bring a
      couple of folding chairs?

      Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.

      Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some more room in
      my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little smaller anyway.

      Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son (which will probably
      be a mistake).

      Bill Sudbrink
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
        >>> Evan still
        need a basic color monitor?

        Yes please.  For connecting to the RCA-style jack on my Apple //c.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
          Bill,
          Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still need a TI/99
          Expansion unit?
          Bill

          In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          wh.sudbrink@... writes:

          > Coming.
          >
          > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean the plastic
          > "slap"
          > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a spare "rocker"
          style
          > power switch.
          > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty). Also,
          bringing
          > various tools
          > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
          >
          > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips. Should I
          > bring a
          > couple of folding chairs?
          >
          > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
          >
          > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some
          > more room in
          > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little
          > smaller anyway.
          >
          > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son
          (which
          > will probably
          > be a mistake).
          >
          > Bill Sudbrink
        • john_apw
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
            > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
            scheduled for this
            > monday to discuss the infoage gathering?
            >
            > I plan to bring
            > 1) a shelf case of TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
            components and
            > software (not the computers),
            > 2) candidate external harddrives for the TRS 80 Model 4 with
            cables.
            > 3) an IMSAI 8080
            > 4) SOL terminal computer (just for show).
            > 5) A monitor and disk drives for the IMSAI
            > 6) IMSAI/SOL software
            > 7) Evan still need a basic color monitor?
            > 8) Cable making equipment, tools
            > 9) stuff to give away as room in my car permits.
            >
            > My goal is to work on the IMSAI with Bill (and anyone interested)
            and the
            > TRS 80 stuff with Kelly (and anyone interested).
            >
            > I assume Bill and Kelly are still coming?
            >
            > I could use a red switch for the IMSAI if anyone has a spare.
            >
            > Bill Degnan

            Bill,

            Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
            looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
            it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
            good at construction stuff, too.)

            Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
            related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
            my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
            please let me know!

            Thanks,

            -John M.
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
              Bill / Kelly -- want me to bring the Model 100 again?

              Kelly -- I haven't played with it since TCF; I forget what you said about how it works sometimes and not other times.

              > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
              scheduled for  this
              > monday to discuss the infoage
              gathering?

              > I plan to bring
              > 1) a shelf case of
              TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
              components  and

              software (not the computers),
              > 2) candidate external harddrives for the
              TRS 80 Model 4 with
              cables.
              > 3) an IMSAI 8080
              > 4) SOL
              terminal computer (just for show).
              > 5) A monitor and disk drives
              for the IMSAI

            • billdeg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                Evan,
                Sure. I don't really know much about the 100/200's.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                  John,

                  I will keep that in mind. Let me know what you need. Right off I have a lot
                  of extra disk doubler cards for Mod 1 expansion units, disk controllers for
                  model III/4, and. RS232 cards for model III.

                  I have a cool software programs called PC3 and PC Four that emulate Model III
                  and Model 4's on an IBM XT, and and copy utility that allows copying of Model
                  III and 4 software to PC and back again. You can format Model III disks on
                  a PC, etc. Very useful for archiving.

                  If you're in the Wilmington, Delaware area, feel free to come down for a
                  visit. Too much to list here.

                  Bill

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
                  > looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
                  > it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
                  > good at construction stuff, too.)
                  >
                  > Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
                  > related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
                  > my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
                  > please let me know!
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > -John M.

                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005

                    UtOh! Looks like I have some competition in the Tandy area! :-)

                    All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                    including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                    Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                    model 1000sx.

                    I have bunches of spare parts for the business machines, and several
                    examples of the 16b and the model 12. If anyone needs help, parts or
                    software for these just let me know.

                    Non working units include: A model III ,a model 16, and a Model 600. Both
                    are in the process of being repaired.

                    I'm now looking for the Tandy terminals. I have a DT-1 on the way, and am on
                    the look out for a DT-100 (which is a rebadged and slightly crippled wyse
                    (60 or 75)). Then it's on to the CoCo and MC-10 machines.

                    Following is a complete list of the Tandy machines I have right now.
                    1 - 600 *
                    1 - 4
                    2 - 4p
                    1 - II
                    1 - III *
                    3 - 12
                    1 - 16 *
                    2 - 16b
                    1 - 1000sx

                    Most have hard drives too. Ones with an * are non working units.
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005
                      On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                      > All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                      > including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                      > Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                      > model 1000sx.

                      I am looking at eventually adding more Tandy machines, to include any
                      of the non-Coco systems prior to the Model 1000s. Currently, the only
                      functional unit I have is a 128Kb Model 4 (non-gate array), which was my
                      2nd computer. I also have a 64Kb gate-array Model 4 with floppy drive
                      problems, and a functional Model 1 monitor. I've been promised a complete
                      Model III system with printer, hopefully by the end of the summer. My
                      first computer was a Model III, which I gradually upgraded to 48Kb, 2 SSDD
                      floppy drives, RS-232 interface and a 300bps modem.

                      I have two 5Mb primary hard drives for the Model III/4 systems, one
                      with a defective controller and the other untested.

                      I'm particularly interested in finding (and making operational) a
                      6000HD system. I learned Unix (XENIX, actually) on one of those in 1985,
                      and wrote a BBS for it which ran for a couple of years in the Tacoma, WA
                      area. I understand that hard drives were a common failure point on the
                      6000s, and indeed that's what eventually took down our BBS system. We had
                      an optional 4-port serial board installed, and four 2400bps modems online.

                      Most of my recent acquisitions have been CP/M based systems. I have an
                      Osborne 1 (original tan case), 2nd revision Osborne 1 (blue/white) and an
                      Osborne Executive. Also a Kaypro 2, Kaypro 2X and a Kaypro 10.

                      I also have 3 Apple IIe systems and parts which I have to test and
                      consolidate. Two are vanilla IIe systems and the third is the enhanced
                      version. I'll probably put together one of each, and make the third
                      available for a trade.

                      I'm slowly putting my collection online: URL at the bottom.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • billdeg@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                          Bill S
                          I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one. The
                          cover is for the far left switch which I believe should be blue.
                          Also, let me know if you need anything!
                          Thanks.
                          Bill Degnan

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
                          > Bill,
                          > Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still
                          need a TI/99
                          > Expansion unit?
                          > Bill
                          >
                          > In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          > wh.sudbrink@v... writes:
                          >
                          > > Coming.
                          > >
                          > > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean
                          the plastic
                          > > "slap"
                          > > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a
                          spare "rocker"
                          > style
                          > > power switch.
                          > > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).
                          Also,
                          > bringing
                          > > various tools
                          > > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
                          > >
                          > > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power
                          strips. Should I
                          > > bring a
                          > > couple of folding chairs?
                          > >
                          > > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
                          > >
                          > > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will
                          make some
                          > > more room in
                          > > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this
                          event a little
                          > > smaller anyway.
                          > >
                          > > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-
                          old son
                          > (which
                          > > will probably
                          > > be a mistake).
                          > >
                          > > Bill Sudbrink
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                            > I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one.

                            Hmmm... It will have to be an old, possibly discolored one. I have
                            a bag of new red ones, but the blues are harder to come by.

                            > Also, let me know if you need anything!

                            Always looking for OSI.

                            Bill
                          • billdeg@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                              If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.  Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?
                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                > If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.

                                I have an old (and badly patched) spare IMSAI front panel that has
                                already had a couple of switch handles picked off of it. They are
                                a bit on the grungy side but might clean up. Whoever operated this
                                FP, as well as being a klutz with a soldering iron, had greasy dirty
                                fingers. I'll bring a couple of new complete red switches (that I
                                was going to bring anyway in case any on your FP had gone bad) and
                                the cleanest blue handle I have left.

                                > Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?

                                Sure, but I have to admit that I haven't done anything with the base
                                unit yet and it might be a while before it gets to the top of my
                                "play with" pile.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                  Everyone,

                                  I have a small assortment of ISA cards that I plan to bring down on Saturday.
                                  The most interesting of these are four memory cards made by Seattle Computer
                                  (the company that sold DOS to Microsoft). They are fully populated with 256K
                                  RAM and have a 1" wide slot bracket for the orginal 5-slot PC motherboard.
                                  They can be set to fill in RAM above 640 are are free to the first people who
                                  ask.

                                  Jim

                                • billdeg@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005