RE: [midatlanticretro] InfoAgo Chat? Monday?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2 1:24 PM
      You didn't miss any reply, I just didn't reply yet.   :)

      Busy here this Monday night, but we can do this over email -- we pulled off TCF and that was a lot more complicated, right?

      Fred says there are two rooms available for 8/13 -- one is 12x15 ft. and the other is 12x28 ft. -- and we can have our pick.  The TCF room was 20x40, and that was almost full with 12 or 14 tables (I forget which), so I think the 12x28 room will be more than enough for the five or six of us.  Better to have extra space than to be over-crowded.

      InfoAge will supply the tables.  So we all need to bring power strips, extension cords, and electric fans, just in case!  Also, I will bring the tableclothes that I purchased for TCF but were not used.

      Bill S. and Kelly -- are you both still planning to attend?

      So in theory, it's me, Jim, Bill D., Bill S., and Kelly, plus a table or two for whatever we can "grab" out of the Grabbe collection that morning, plus an extra table for hands-on work space and miscellaneous stuff -- I'll tell Fred that we need eight tables.

      In this small set-up, there's no need to worry about the layout, we'll just configure it that morning.  Again, I will be there super-early, probably around 8.  (From a prior message:
      >>> the gates will open to the public at 10, the ceremony begins at 11,
      and we should be done by 2 or 3 or whenever the public's finished milling around.  Tours will run all day long.)

      Can someone print up some dot-matrix banners with our club name?

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2 2:25 PM
        Coming.

        Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch.  I assume you mean the plastic "slap"
        lever switch.  I have a bunch of those.  I don't have a spare "rocker" style power switch.
        But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).  Also, bringing various tools
        and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.

        Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips.  Should I bring a
        couple of folding chairs?

        Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.

        Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some more room in
        my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little smaller anyway.

        Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son (which will probably
        be a mistake).

        Bill Sudbrink
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2 2:33 PM
          >>> Evan still
          need a basic color monitor?

          Yes please.  For connecting to the RCA-style jack on my Apple //c.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2 6:01 PM
            Bill,
            Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still need a TI/99
            Expansion unit?
            Bill

            In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            wh.sudbrink@... writes:

            > Coming.
            >
            > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean the plastic
            > "slap"
            > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a spare "rocker"
            style
            > power switch.
            > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty). Also,
            bringing
            > various tools
            > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
            >
            > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips. Should I
            > bring a
            > couple of folding chairs?
            >
            > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
            >
            > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some
            > more room in
            > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little
            > smaller anyway.
            >
            > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son
            (which
            > will probably
            > be a mistake).
            >
            > Bill Sudbrink
          • john_apw
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3 12:08 PM
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
              > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
              scheduled for this
              > monday to discuss the infoage gathering?
              >
              > I plan to bring
              > 1) a shelf case of TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
              components and
              > software (not the computers),
              > 2) candidate external harddrives for the TRS 80 Model 4 with
              cables.
              > 3) an IMSAI 8080
              > 4) SOL terminal computer (just for show).
              > 5) A monitor and disk drives for the IMSAI
              > 6) IMSAI/SOL software
              > 7) Evan still need a basic color monitor?
              > 8) Cable making equipment, tools
              > 9) stuff to give away as room in my car permits.
              >
              > My goal is to work on the IMSAI with Bill (and anyone interested)
              and the
              > TRS 80 stuff with Kelly (and anyone interested).
              >
              > I assume Bill and Kelly are still coming?
              >
              > I could use a red switch for the IMSAI if anyone has a spare.
              >
              > Bill Degnan

              Bill,

              Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
              looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
              it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
              good at construction stuff, too.)

              Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
              related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
              my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
              please let me know!

              Thanks,

              -John M.
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3 12:30 PM
                Bill / Kelly -- want me to bring the Model 100 again?

                Kelly -- I haven't played with it since TCF; I forget what you said about how it works sometimes and not other times.

                > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
                scheduled for  this
                > monday to discuss the infoage
                gathering?

                > I plan to bring
                > 1) a shelf case of
                TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
                components  and

                software (not the computers),
                > 2) candidate external harddrives for the
                TRS 80 Model 4 with
                cables.
                > 3) an IMSAI 8080
                > 4) SOL
                terminal computer (just for show).
                > 5) A monitor and disk drives
                for the IMSAI

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3 3:09 PM
                  Evan,
                  Sure. I don't really know much about the 100/200's.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3 3:16 PM
                    John,

                    I will keep that in mind. Let me know what you need. Right off I have a lot
                    of extra disk doubler cards for Mod 1 expansion units, disk controllers for
                    model III/4, and. RS232 cards for model III.

                    I have a cool software programs called PC3 and PC Four that emulate Model III
                    and Model 4's on an IBM XT, and and copy utility that allows copying of Model
                    III and 4 software to PC and back again. You can format Model III disks on
                    a PC, etc. Very useful for archiving.

                    If you're in the Wilmington, Delaware area, feel free to come down for a
                    visit. Too much to list here.

                    Bill

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
                    > looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
                    > it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
                    > good at construction stuff, too.)
                    >
                    > Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
                    > related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
                    > my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
                    > please let me know!
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > -John M.

                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 4 6:51 AM

                      UtOh! Looks like I have some competition in the Tandy area! :-)

                      All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                      including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                      Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                      model 1000sx.

                      I have bunches of spare parts for the business machines, and several
                      examples of the 16b and the model 12. If anyone needs help, parts or
                      software for these just let me know.

                      Non working units include: A model III ,a model 16, and a Model 600. Both
                      are in the process of being repaired.

                      I'm now looking for the Tandy terminals. I have a DT-1 on the way, and am on
                      the look out for a DT-100 (which is a rebadged and slightly crippled wyse
                      (60 or 75)). Then it's on to the CoCo and MC-10 machines.

                      Following is a complete list of the Tandy machines I have right now.
                      1 - 600 *
                      1 - 4
                      2 - 4p
                      1 - II
                      1 - III *
                      3 - 12
                      1 - 16 *
                      2 - 16b
                      1 - 1000sx

                      Most have hard drives too. Ones with an * are non working units.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 4 7:14 AM
                        On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                        > All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                        > including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                        > Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                        > model 1000sx.

                        I am looking at eventually adding more Tandy machines, to include any
                        of the non-Coco systems prior to the Model 1000s. Currently, the only
                        functional unit I have is a 128Kb Model 4 (non-gate array), which was my
                        2nd computer. I also have a 64Kb gate-array Model 4 with floppy drive
                        problems, and a functional Model 1 monitor. I've been promised a complete
                        Model III system with printer, hopefully by the end of the summer. My
                        first computer was a Model III, which I gradually upgraded to 48Kb, 2 SSDD
                        floppy drives, RS-232 interface and a 300bps modem.

                        I have two 5Mb primary hard drives for the Model III/4 systems, one
                        with a defective controller and the other untested.

                        I'm particularly interested in finding (and making operational) a
                        6000HD system. I learned Unix (XENIX, actually) on one of those in 1985,
                        and wrote a BBS for it which ran for a couple of years in the Tacoma, WA
                        area. I understand that hard drives were a common failure point on the
                        6000s, and indeed that's what eventually took down our BBS system. We had
                        an optional 4-port serial board installed, and four 2400bps modems online.

                        Most of my recent acquisitions have been CP/M based systems. I have an
                        Osborne 1 (original tan case), 2nd revision Osborne 1 (blue/white) and an
                        Osborne Executive. Also a Kaypro 2, Kaypro 2X and a Kaypro 10.

                        I also have 3 Apple IIe systems and parts which I have to test and
                        consolidate. Two are vanilla IIe systems and the third is the enhanced
                        version. I'll probably put together one of each, and make the third
                        available for a trade.

                        I'm slowly putting my collection online: URL at the bottom.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • billdeg@aol.com

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 11 5:54 AM
                            Bill S
                            I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one. The
                            cover is for the far left switch which I believe should be blue.
                            Also, let me know if you need anything!
                            Thanks.
                            Bill Degnan

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
                            > Bill,
                            > Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still
                            need a TI/99
                            > Expansion unit?
                            > Bill
                            >
                            > In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            > wh.sudbrink@v... writes:
                            >
                            > > Coming.
                            > >
                            > > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean
                            the plastic
                            > > "slap"
                            > > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a
                            spare "rocker"
                            > style
                            > > power switch.
                            > > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).
                            Also,
                            > bringing
                            > > various tools
                            > > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
                            > >
                            > > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power
                            strips. Should I
                            > > bring a
                            > > couple of folding chairs?
                            > >
                            > > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
                            > >
                            > > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will
                            make some
                            > > more room in
                            > > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this
                            event a little
                            > > smaller anyway.
                            > >
                            > > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-
                            old son
                            > (which
                            > > will probably
                            > > be a mistake).
                            > >
                            > > Bill Sudbrink
                          • Bill Sudbrink
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 11 7:04 AM
                              > I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one.

                              Hmmm... It will have to be an old, possibly discolored one. I have
                              a bag of new red ones, but the blues are harder to come by.

                              > Also, let me know if you need anything!

                              Always looking for OSI.

                              Bill
                            • billdeg@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 11 8:10 AM
                                If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.  Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?
                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 11 10:51 AM
                                  > If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.

                                  I have an old (and badly patched) spare IMSAI front panel that has
                                  already had a couple of switch handles picked off of it. They are
                                  a bit on the grungy side but might clean up. Whoever operated this
                                  FP, as well as being a klutz with a soldering iron, had greasy dirty
                                  fingers. I'll bring a couple of new complete red switches (that I
                                  was going to bring anyway in case any on your FP had gone bad) and
                                  the cleanest blue handle I have left.

                                  > Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?

                                  Sure, but I have to admit that I haven't done anything with the base
                                  unit yet and it might be a while before it gets to the top of my
                                  "play with" pile.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 11 11:09 AM
                                    Everyone,

                                    I have a small assortment of ISA cards that I plan to bring down on Saturday.
                                    The most interesting of these are four memory cards made by Seattle Computer
                                    (the company that sold DOS to Microsoft). They are fully populated with 256K
                                    RAM and have a 1" wide slot bracket for the orginal 5-slot PC motherboard.
                                    They can be set to fill in RAM above 640 are are free to the first people who
                                    ask.

                                    Jim

                                  • billdeg@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 11 11:26 AM