InfoAgo Chat? Monday?

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
      I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat scheduled for this monday to discuss the infoage gathering?

      I plan to bring
      1) a shelf case of TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4) components and software (not the computers),
      2) candidate external harddrives for the TRS 80 Model 4 with cables.
      3) an IMSAI 8080
      4) SOL terminal computer (just for show).
      5) A monitor and disk drives for the IMSAI
      6) IMSAI/SOL software
      7) Evan still need a basic color monitor?
      8) Cable making equipment, tools
      9) stuff to give away as room in my car permits.

      My goal is to work on the IMSAI with Bill (and anyone interested) and the TRS 80 stuff with Kelly (and anyone interested).

      I assume Bill and Kelly are still coming?

      I could use a red switch for the IMSAI if anyone has a spare.

      Bill Degnan
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
        You didn't miss any reply, I just didn't reply yet.   :)

        Busy here this Monday night, but we can do this over email -- we pulled off TCF and that was a lot more complicated, right?

        Fred says there are two rooms available for 8/13 -- one is 12x15 ft. and the other is 12x28 ft. -- and we can have our pick.  The TCF room was 20x40, and that was almost full with 12 or 14 tables (I forget which), so I think the 12x28 room will be more than enough for the five or six of us.  Better to have extra space than to be over-crowded.

        InfoAge will supply the tables.  So we all need to bring power strips, extension cords, and electric fans, just in case!  Also, I will bring the tableclothes that I purchased for TCF but were not used.

        Bill S. and Kelly -- are you both still planning to attend?

        So in theory, it's me, Jim, Bill D., Bill S., and Kelly, plus a table or two for whatever we can "grab" out of the Grabbe collection that morning, plus an extra table for hands-on work space and miscellaneous stuff -- I'll tell Fred that we need eight tables.

        In this small set-up, there's no need to worry about the layout, we'll just configure it that morning.  Again, I will be there super-early, probably around 8.  (From a prior message:
        >>> the gates will open to the public at 10, the ceremony begins at 11,
        and we should be done by 2 or 3 or whenever the public's finished milling around.  Tours will run all day long.)

        Can someone print up some dot-matrix banners with our club name?

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
          Coming.

          Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch.  I assume you mean the plastic "slap"
          lever switch.  I have a bunch of those.  I don't have a spare "rocker" style power switch.
          But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).  Also, bringing various tools
          and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.

          Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips.  Should I bring a
          couple of folding chairs?

          Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.

          Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some more room in
          my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little smaller anyway.

          Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son (which will probably
          be a mistake).

          Bill Sudbrink
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
            >>> Evan still
            need a basic color monitor?

            Yes please.  For connecting to the RCA-style jack on my Apple //c.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2005
              Bill,
              Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still need a TI/99
              Expansion unit?
              Bill

              In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              wh.sudbrink@... writes:

              > Coming.
              >
              > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean the plastic
              > "slap"
              > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a spare "rocker"
              style
              > power switch.
              > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty). Also,
              bringing
              > various tools
              > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
              >
              > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power strips. Should I
              > bring a
              > couple of folding chairs?
              >
              > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
              >
              > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will make some
              > more room in
              > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this event a little
              > smaller anyway.
              >
              > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-old son
              (which
              > will probably
              > be a mistake).
              >
              > Bill Sudbrink
            • john_apw
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
                > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
                scheduled for this
                > monday to discuss the infoage gathering?
                >
                > I plan to bring
                > 1) a shelf case of TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
                components and
                > software (not the computers),
                > 2) candidate external harddrives for the TRS 80 Model 4 with
                cables.
                > 3) an IMSAI 8080
                > 4) SOL terminal computer (just for show).
                > 5) A monitor and disk drives for the IMSAI
                > 6) IMSAI/SOL software
                > 7) Evan still need a basic color monitor?
                > 8) Cable making equipment, tools
                > 9) stuff to give away as room in my car permits.
                >
                > My goal is to work on the IMSAI with Bill (and anyone interested)
                and the
                > TRS 80 stuff with Kelly (and anyone interested).
                >
                > I assume Bill and Kelly are still coming?
                >
                > I could use a red switch for the IMSAI if anyone has a spare.
                >
                > Bill Degnan

                Bill,

                Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
                looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
                it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
                good at construction stuff, too.)

                Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
                related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
                my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
                please let me know!

                Thanks,

                -John M.
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Bill / Kelly -- want me to bring the Model 100 again?

                  Kelly -- I haven't played with it since TCF; I forget what you said about how it works sometimes and not other times.

                  > I may have missed a reply to my inquiry...is there a chat
                  scheduled for  this
                  > monday to discuss the infoage
                  gathering?

                  > I plan to bring
                  > 1) a shelf case of
                  TRS 80 model II/12/16 (and some model 4)
                  components  and

                  software (not the computers),
                  > 2) candidate external harddrives for the
                  TRS 80 Model 4 with
                  cables.
                  > 3) an IMSAI 8080
                  > 4) SOL
                  terminal computer (just for show).
                  > 5) A monitor and disk drives
                  for the IMSAI

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Evan,
                    Sure. I don't really know much about the 100/200's.
                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2005
                      John,

                      I will keep that in mind. Let me know what you need. Right off I have a lot
                      of extra disk doubler cards for Mod 1 expansion units, disk controllers for
                      model III/4, and. RS232 cards for model III.

                      I have a cool software programs called PC3 and PC Four that emulate Model III
                      and Model 4's on an IBM XT, and and copy utility that allows copying of Model
                      III and 4 software to PC and back again. You can format Model III disks on
                      a PC, etc. Very useful for archiving.

                      If you're in the Wilmington, Delaware area, feel free to come down for a
                      visit. Too much to list here.

                      Bill

                      > Bill,
                      >
                      > Regretfully, I won't be able to attend the upcoming opening, but am
                      > looking forward to other opportunities to see the space and help get
                      > it set up. (In addition to my computer and tech writing skills, I'm
                      > good at construction stuff, too.)
                      >
                      > Regarding items 1 and 9 in your list: I'm interested in anything
                      > related to TRS-80, any model. (I'm going to see if I can get one of
                      > my Mod Is up and running next month...) Anything you don't want,
                      > please let me know!
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > -John M.

                    • Kelly Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005

                        UtOh! Looks like I have some competition in the Tandy area! :-)

                        All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                        including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                        Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                        model 1000sx.

                        I have bunches of spare parts for the business machines, and several
                        examples of the 16b and the model 12. If anyone needs help, parts or
                        software for these just let me know.

                        Non working units include: A model III ,a model 16, and a Model 600. Both
                        are in the process of being repaired.

                        I'm now looking for the Tandy terminals. I have a DT-1 on the way, and am on
                        the look out for a DT-100 (which is a rebadged and slightly crippled wyse
                        (60 or 75)). Then it's on to the CoCo and MC-10 machines.

                        Following is a complete list of the Tandy machines I have right now.
                        1 - 600 *
                        1 - 4
                        2 - 4p
                        1 - II
                        1 - III *
                        3 - 12
                        1 - 16 *
                        2 - 16b
                        1 - 1000sx

                        Most have hard drives too. Ones with an * are non working units.
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 4, 2005
                          On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                          > All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
                          > including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
                          > Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
                          > model 1000sx.

                          I am looking at eventually adding more Tandy machines, to include any
                          of the non-Coco systems prior to the Model 1000s. Currently, the only
                          functional unit I have is a 128Kb Model 4 (non-gate array), which was my
                          2nd computer. I also have a 64Kb gate-array Model 4 with floppy drive
                          problems, and a functional Model 1 monitor. I've been promised a complete
                          Model III system with printer, hopefully by the end of the summer. My
                          first computer was a Model III, which I gradually upgraded to 48Kb, 2 SSDD
                          floppy drives, RS-232 interface and a 300bps modem.

                          I have two 5Mb primary hard drives for the Model III/4 systems, one
                          with a defective controller and the other untested.

                          I'm particularly interested in finding (and making operational) a
                          6000HD system. I learned Unix (XENIX, actually) on one of those in 1985,
                          and wrote a BBS for it which ran for a couple of years in the Tacoma, WA
                          area. I understand that hard drives were a common failure point on the
                          6000s, and indeed that's what eventually took down our BBS system. We had
                          an optional 4-port serial board installed, and four 2400bps modems online.

                          Most of my recent acquisitions have been CP/M based systems. I have an
                          Osborne 1 (original tan case), 2nd revision Osborne 1 (blue/white) and an
                          Osborne Executive. Also a Kaypro 2, Kaypro 2X and a Kaypro 10.

                          I also have 3 Apple IIe systems and parts which I have to test and
                          consolidate. Two are vanilla IIe systems and the third is the enhanced
                          version. I'll probably put together one of each, and make the third
                          available for a trade.

                          I'm slowly putting my collection online: URL at the bottom.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • billdeg@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                              Bill S
                              I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one. The
                              cover is for the far left switch which I believe should be blue.
                              Also, let me know if you need anything!
                              Thanks.
                              Bill Degnan

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
                              > Bill,
                              > Great! Yes I meant the red plastic switch cover. Did you still
                              need a TI/99
                              > Expansion unit?
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > In a message dated 8/2/2005 6:03:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              > wh.sudbrink@v... writes:
                              >
                              > > Coming.
                              > >
                              > > Bringing spare red IMSAI front panel switch. I assume you mean
                              the plastic
                              > > "slap"
                              > > lever switch. I have a bunch of those. I don't have a
                              spare "rocker"
                              > style
                              > > power switch.
                              > > But, those never break anyway (but they can get very dirty).
                              Also,
                              > bringing
                              > > various tools
                              > > and spare S-100 boards useful in troubleshooting an IMSAI.
                              > >
                              > > Bringing a couple of fans, some extension cords and power
                              strips. Should I
                              > > bring a
                              > > couple of folding chairs?
                              > >
                              > > Bringing my Sol and OSI C4P-MF.
                              > >
                              > > Not bringing the Northstar and ADM-3A as leaving it behind will
                              make some
                              > > more room in
                              > > my car for the fans and it sounds like we want to keep this
                              event a little
                              > > smaller anyway.
                              > >
                              > > Also, if I don't kill him first, probably bringing my 12-year-
                              old son
                              > (which
                              > > will probably
                              > > be a mistake).
                              > >
                              > > Bill Sudbrink
                            • Bill Sudbrink
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                > I was wrong. If the offer still stands I need a *blue* one.

                                Hmmm... It will have to be an old, possibly discolored one. I have
                                a bag of new red ones, but the blues are harder to come by.

                                > Also, let me know if you need anything!

                                Always looking for OSI.

                                Bill
                              • billdeg@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                  If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.  Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?
                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                    > If you don't have many blue spares, red will do.

                                    I have an old (and badly patched) spare IMSAI front panel that has
                                    already had a couple of switch handles picked off of it. They are
                                    a bit on the grungy side but might clean up. Whoever operated this
                                    FP, as well as being a klutz with a soldering iron, had greasy dirty
                                    fingers. I'll bring a couple of new complete red switches (that I
                                    was going to bring anyway in case any on your FP had gone bad) and
                                    the cleanest blue handle I have left.

                                    > Did you also need a TI/99 Expansion unit?

                                    Sure, but I have to admit that I haven't done anything with the base
                                    unit yet and it might be a while before it gets to the top of my
                                    "play with" pile.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005
                                      Everyone,

                                      I have a small assortment of ISA cards that I plan to bring down on Saturday.
                                      The most interesting of these are four memory cards made by Seattle Computer
                                      (the company that sold DOS to Microsoft). They are fully populated with 256K
                                      RAM and have a 1" wide slot bracket for the orginal 5-slot PC motherboard.
                                      They can be set to fill in RAM above 640 are are free to the first people who
                                      ask.

                                      Jim

                                    • billdeg@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 11, 2005