movies...Re: [midatlanticretro] Official RSVP communique

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 90 , Dec 2, 2008

      Evan Koblentz wrote:
       stack of nerdy movies!

      A year or two ago, I urged Bryan to get the movie "Desk Set" which is a
      classic involving some Big Iron .... But we wound up watching Office Space
      instead.

      There's one movie I would recommend, it's still nerdy if you like watching PDP minicomputers in action. The movie is a light hearted documentary called 'Dish' dating back to the Apollo moon landing(next year is the 40th anniv) It focuses on the Parkes Radio Telescope in Australia which was used to relay the video broadcast from the moon landing. The story pays alot of attention to how they operated the equipment during that time. This is one movie where the attention to detail on the computer equipment and the rest of the observatory was very good. It also happened to make the small town become famous as a result.

      =Dan
    • Andy Meyer
      Message 90 of 90 , Dec 5, 2008
        Whoops, I guess I should RSVP.
        I will be there around noon, plus or minus an insignificant epsilon.

        Will there be some sort of MP3 playing device?
        I've got some interesting MP3 files.
        I've also got the two most recent episodes of "The IT Crowd" as AVI files
        if we'll have any way to project those.

        I'm bringing stuff for various people (you know who you are)
        and some trinkets for possible trade.
        I'm happy to have any unwanted Gameboy (original!) carts.

        And as a point of information, I've still got a complete Amiga 2000HD
        setup for sale:
        http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=6681

        See you tomorrow,
        Andy