RE: [midatlanticretro] This was interesting...

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
      Message
      Hmmm .... the only Google reference is from yesterday on Erik Klein's forum: http://www.vintage-computer.com/altair8800.shtml .... where has Mr. Brinker been for the past 30-something years?  Sounds slightly fishy.

      In the post, he says, "I'm a full time RV'er and travel the country so would enjoy visiting with someone that has a working system."  Okay, so get him out here to NJ.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
        Re: [midatlanticretro] This was interesting... Well, he travels between the coasts to visit his kids for the holidays (two daughters in VA and two sons in CA). One of his sons apparently had some of his stuff in storage in the basement and they were going through it. I’m inferring that this sparked his interest again since he gave his hardware away 8+ years ago. His post is consistent with what he told me but I’m inferring was before he found the Altair32 in a Google search.  If it is true, I’m just happy to save any original documents from the dumpster.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
          On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Richard A. Cini wrote:

          > I received an email from someone about my Altair32 emulator. It happens
          > now and again, but this time it was unusual. The call came from Jack
          > Brinker.
          > Jack apparently has a load of documents for me for preservation
          > purposes. Christmas came early this year...

          Along these lines I have to add, "It pays to advertise". If no one
          knows what your interests are, you may miss out on a lot of opportunities.
          I frequently get interesting notes from people who have found my SAGE
          site, not only thanking me for making it available, but contributing new
          information. Likewise with my Old Technology site. I have a Wish List on
          the bottom of the front page, to which I've had several responses with
          offers for free hardware or cost-of-shipping. They can see by my site
          that I'm serious about my collecting, and know that their hardware will
          get a good home.

          So, take the time to make a web site. It doesn't have to be fancy
          (mine isn't), and sooner or later the search engines will come calling.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
            That's great to hear.  You never know what he'll have.
            bd

            This was interesting... All:

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008

              > Along these lines I have to add, "It pays to advertise". If no one
              > knows what your interests are, you may miss out on a lot of opportunities.
              > I frequently get interesting notes from people who have found my SAGE
              > site, not only thanking me for making it available, but contributing new
              > information. Likewise with my Old Technology site. I have a Wish List on
              > the bottom of the front page, to which I've had several responses with
              > offers for free hardware or cost-of-shipping. They can see by my site
              > that I'm serious about my collecting, and know that their hardware will
              > get a good home.
              >
              > So, take the time to make a web site. It doesn't have to be fancy
              > (mine isn't), and sooner or later the search engines will come calling.

              Obviously I agree with Mike. I get at least one inquiry a day. It's a
              great way to meet new people.