Re: [midatlanticretro] C64 issue maybe?

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
      Richard A. Cini wrote:
      > All:
      >
      > I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
      > to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
      > was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
      > but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
      > it didn’t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
      > into running BASIC programs.
      >
      > Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
      > behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
      > fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
      > pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
      >
      > Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
      Rich,

      Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
      Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
      quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Richard A. Cini
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
        Bryan:

        I thought I did it like I did it on the VIC -- held R/S and then hit
        RESTORE -- but I'll try the sequence again. Maybe I'm subconsciously doing
        something wrong.

        Rich

        On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

        > Richard A. Cini wrote:
        >> All:
        >>
        >> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
        >> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
        >> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
        >> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
        >> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
        >> into running BASIC programs.
        >>
        >> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
        >> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
        >> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
        >> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
        >>
        >> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
        > Rich,
        >
        > Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
        > Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
        > quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bryan

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
          The RUN/STOP and Restore keys are inconsistent and occasional
          software-specific issues should be expected. Top of the list is how
          the 0 page is accessed by the program, and the reset location in memory
          could have been moved, etc. There are ways programatically to disable
          the run/stop and restore keys. There are a lot of utility carts with a
          reset button built into them to give the c64 user more predictable reset
          control.

          If you're not convinced, I have a diagnostics cartridge that I can bring
          12/6 for the C-64, just let me know.

          Bill

          Richard A. Cini wrote:
          > Bryan:
          >
          > I thought I did it like I did it on the VIC -- held R/S and then hit
          > RESTORE -- but I'll try the sequence again. Maybe I'm subconsciously doing
          > something wrong.
          >
          > Rich
          >

          > On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Richard A. Cini wrote:
          >>
          >>> All:
          >>>
          >>> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
          >>> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
          >>> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
          >>> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
          >>> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
          >>> into running BASIC programs.
          >>>
          >>> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
          >>> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
          >>> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
          >>> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
          >>>
          >>> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
          >>>
          >> Rich,
          >>
          >> Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
          >> Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
          >> quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >>
          >> Bryan
          >>

          >> ------------------------------------

        • Richard A. Cini
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
            Ok, I did a little playing with this again, and it seems that RESTORE on the
            C64 is way more sensitive than on the VIC. You have to hit the key with just
            the right speed (press and release speed) for it to work. I don't know if
            that uniqueness is in hardware on software, but it is different.

            Bill...I would still like to get a copy of the diag cartridge and schematic
            for the test harness if you have it.

            Thanks again Bryan and Bill.

            On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

            > Richard A. Cini wrote:
            >> All:
            >>
            >> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
            >> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
            >> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
            >> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
            >> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
            >> into running BASIC programs.
            >>
            >> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
            >> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
            >> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
            >> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
            >>
            >> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
            > Rich,
            >
            > Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
            > Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
            > quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan

            Rich

            --
            Rich Cini
            Collector of Classic Computers
            http://www.altair32.com
            http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
              Would anyone be interested in an Intergraph. It was built in 1996 and was a heavy graphic workstation. The unit has dual 150Mhz Pentium Pro processors.

              It's heavy so if someone wants it I will try and bring it.

            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                I seem to remember these. What OS and product did they use for graphics?

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                  They used NT.. They had special graphics cards but this system doesnt have them