C64 issue maybe?

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
      C64 issue maybe? All:

          I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak, but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and it didn’t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break into running BASIC programs.

          Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?

          Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
        Richard A. Cini wrote:
        > All:
        >
        > I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
        > to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
        > was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
        > but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
        > it didn’t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
        > into running BASIC programs.
        >
        > Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
        > behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
        > fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
        > pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
        >
        > Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
        Rich,

        Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
        Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
        quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)

        Cheers,

        Bryan
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
          Bryan:

          I thought I did it like I did it on the VIC -- held R/S and then hit
          RESTORE -- but I'll try the sequence again. Maybe I'm subconsciously doing
          something wrong.

          Rich

          On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

          > Richard A. Cini wrote:
          >> All:
          >>
          >> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
          >> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
          >> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
          >> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
          >> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
          >> into running BASIC programs.
          >>
          >> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
          >> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
          >> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
          >> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
          >>
          >> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
          > Rich,
          >
          > Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
          > Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
          > quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bryan

          Rich

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
            The RUN/STOP and Restore keys are inconsistent and occasional
            software-specific issues should be expected. Top of the list is how
            the 0 page is accessed by the program, and the reset location in memory
            could have been moved, etc. There are ways programatically to disable
            the run/stop and restore keys. There are a lot of utility carts with a
            reset button built into them to give the c64 user more predictable reset
            control.

            If you're not convinced, I have a diagnostics cartridge that I can bring
            12/6 for the C-64, just let me know.

            Bill

            Richard A. Cini wrote:
            > Bryan:
            >
            > I thought I did it like I did it on the VIC -- held R/S and then hit
            > RESTORE -- but I'll try the sequence again. Maybe I'm subconsciously doing
            > something wrong.
            >
            > Rich
            >

            > On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Richard A. Cini wrote:
            >>
            >>> All:
            >>>
            >>> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
            >>> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
            >>> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
            >>> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
            >>> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
            >>> into running BASIC programs.
            >>>
            >>> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
            >>> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
            >>> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
            >>> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
            >>>
            >>> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
            >>>
            >> Rich,
            >>
            >> Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
            >> Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
            >> quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Bryan
            >>

            >> ------------------------------------

          • Richard A. Cini
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
              Ok, I did a little playing with this again, and it seems that RESTORE on the
              C64 is way more sensitive than on the VIC. You have to hit the key with just
              the right speed (press and release speed) for it to work. I don't know if
              that uniqueness is in hardware on software, but it is different.

              Bill...I would still like to get a copy of the diag cartridge and schematic
              for the test harness if you have it.

              Thanks again Bryan and Bill.

              On 11/30/08 12:21 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

              > Richard A. Cini wrote:
              >> All:
              >>
              >> I pulled my C64 out of storage yesterday to set it up to test access
              >> to my IMSAI BBS from different classic machines. I had a VIC-20 when I
              >> was a kid and not a C64, so my knowledge of the C64 is kind of weak,
              >> but I tried the RUN/STOP+RESTORE trick to un-hang something I did and
              >> it didn¹t work. I know that the RUN/STOP key works because I can break
              >> into running BASIC programs.
              >>
              >> Before I open the unit up to start debugging, what is the correct
              >> behavior for this key on the C64? Everything else seems to be working
              >> fine. Unrelated to this, does anyone have a diagnostics disk (or
              >> pointer to a D64 image) for the C64?
              >>
              >> Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
              > Rich,
              >
              > Did you press the Restore key like you would any other key? For the
              > Run/Stop+Restore to work on the C64, you must strike the Restore key
              > quickly, like you mean it after holding down Run/Stop. :)
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bryan

              Rich

              --
              Rich Cini
              Collector of Classic Computers
              http://www.altair32.com
              http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                Would anyone be interested in an Intergraph. It was built in 1996 and was a heavy graphic workstation. The unit has dual 150Mhz Pentium Pro processors.

                It's heavy so if someone wants it I will try and bring it.

              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                  I seem to remember these. What OS and product did they use for graphics?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                    They used NT.. They had special graphics cards but this system doesnt have them