12/6

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 24, 2008
      Message
      It sounds like more people are coming to the Dec. 6 party / party / tech day / hang out than come to some of our "real" events!

      The cottage is open to all that night.  It can hold a dozen-ish people, or more, but there are limited bunks / cots and even more limited sheets / pillows / blankets.  So, I urge everyone to bring a sleeping bag (or whatever makes you happy).

      There * may * be wifi from the other cottage next door.  No guarantees, so don't count on it.

      A couple of peopl emailed me and said they're early to bed, early to rise -- so those of us who wish to party hardy late into the night can stay in the telecom building or in the MARCH exhibit rooms.  Remember, I have keys, so there's no deadline.

      Of course there is a nearby 24-hour convenience store, the cottage has a kitchen, etc.

      That weekend also starts InfoAge's annual model train demo (goes each weekend until the end of the year).  That is sponsored by the Garden State Central model railroad club which has an exhibit room at InfoAge and will eventually get its own building.  GSC is using the same rooms that we used for VCF -- lounge, dining room, and probably the 9032-A section (where we had lectures at VCF East 4.0 / Chuck Peddle).  The railroad demo is a PAY event, just like VCF was, so do NOT wander in through a back door.  If you want to see the trains, then go through the hotel lobby and pay.  The demo is aimed at kids but they still have cool things like a steam-powered locomotive getting its heat from a butane tank.

      Two last things: 1., remember that 12/6 is strictly an internal MARCH event, so it's okay to bring like-minded friends but this isn't for the general public; 2., as I've said in past emails, don't forget to bring food, games, movies, or whatever entertains* you 'cause this is supposed to be a party too.

      * Keep it nerd-friendly please .... so if your idea of entertainment is weed or XXX films, then consider some other venue.   :)
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 25, 2008
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > * Keep it nerd-friendly please .... so if your idea of entertainment is
        > weed or XXX films, then consider some other venue. :)

        Aww, you're no fun.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
          For the rest of you, the gathering is still going on. I left after
          pizza. This afternoon Bill started debugging the Commodore stuff I
          brought. The movies and video games (four or five game machines), beer
          and pizza are probably still going on as I send this.

          Jim
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
            I see the news headline

            "In the news today a group of men were found dead.
            The frozen men were found gathered together in a room littered with food, beer and antique computers. Wall Police say although no letter was found. We believe this was a cult and that they had a suicide pact"

            "Film at 11"

            THe even was great to bad I have a maintenance window in 2hrs

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
              Man I need to stop writing e-mails when half asleep and no coffee.

              Let me try this again

              The event was great, too bad I have a maintenance window in 2hrs

              Anyway, with luck you got the heat working and things got warm.

              The party ruled!,,

              I need a place to post pics!

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                Look forward to seeing the pics. Good to hear you guys had a fun
                time. I on the other hand was hanging cabinets in my kitchen. Not
                nearly as fun. :( But at least was quite productive. Hopefully I
                can go next year when my fiancee is not all sick from being pregnant.
                :)

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                > Man I need to stop writing e-mails when half asleep and no coffee.
                >
                > Let me try this again
                >
                > The event was great, too bad I have a maintenance window in 2hrs
                >
                > Anyway, with luck you got the heat working and things got warm.
                >
                > The party ruled!,,
                >
                > I need a place to post pics!

              • Bill Dromgoole
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                  I had a great time also. Its nice to put faces to the names in the emails.

                  To those at the gathering--If you think the VW bus beating the Delorian was something check out the Tango EV against the Tesla.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                    On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Christian Liendo
                    <christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                    > The frozen men were found gathered together in a room littered with food,
                    > beer and antique computers.

                    Okay, so it may have gotten a little chilly after the second furnace died and
                    we had to rely on the electric space heaters as long as we didn't turn
                    them up too high
                    for fear that they would trip the breaker. The snow wasn't even that deep! :-)

                    Seriously though, I think the holiday party/swap meet/geek-fest went
                    pretty well.
                    I came home with less stuff than I brought, put faces with some more names,
                    ate some food, played some video games and watched a few movies.

                    Thanks to everyone who showed up. Sorry to those that couldn't make it.
                    Based on past performance, next year's will be even better.

                    Happy holidays,
                    Andy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                      "A great time had by all"
                      -Bill Degnan

                      The only time I can think of where I started two socially-acceptable
                      small equipment fires
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 7, 2008
                        Message
                        Hi all --

                        Just wanted to thank everyone who helped make the holiday party a success -- and everyone who helped me 2008 a success for MARCH.

                        I arrived at InfoAge yesterday at noon.  Met up with Andy, and then everyone else started trickling in.

                        I really enjoyed hearing all the different videogame consoles running at the same time.  Sounded like a real arcade in that room!  We definitely have to set up arcade stations scattered throughout the next VCF East.

                        For those who couldn't attend yesterday, at the same time as playing games / working on computers / drink beer / goofing off, we also watched several movies using Bryan's surround sound, InfoAge's portable projector, and (I forget who brought the portable screen) .... films (in order) were Tron, Cherry 2000, Back to the Future, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Airplane, and .... I forget which came after that.  By that point I had a lot of beer.  :)

                        There were technical difficulties with my portable barbeque so we defaulted to pizza.  Bryan, Jeff Brace, and others all brought snacks and drinks.  Sridhar brought a good selection of beer.

                        MARCH picked up a Mattel Aquarius, mutliple Commodore PET dual floppy drives, few boxes of magazines / books (including Vol. 1, Issue 1 of -- I think it was Kilobaud?), and several power strips / extension cords.  Several private swaps were made between members.

                        Back at the cottage, I went to sleep early because I had to leave early this morning.  Rumor has it that Ian and Bryan both got ill from drinking too much.  :)

                        Anyway, the party was great, and definitely lived up to alpha-nerd status.  An awesome way to close out 2008.

                        At the end of next year, we can have a five-year birthday bash for the club!

                        Way too much happened this year to write a full summary.  The major highlights:
                        - Another great exhibit at the Trenton show.  Many people said our booth was the only redeeming quality of the whole event
                        - We rescued the PDP-8 from our good friend Claude Kagan
                        - Another great exhibit at the Hackers On Planet Earth (HOPE) conference
                        - We worked our butts off and managed to build museum exhibits all summer
                        - Several new members joined this year and really got involved
                        - Another kick-ass VCF East, amazing guest speakers this year, new exhibitors, new ideas from veteran exhibitors
                        - Club budget grew by massive amounts because of the Esquire photo shoot
                        - The aforementioned end-of-year-blowout party was a first for us and a big success

                        So raise your drinks, MARCHins: Here's to an even better 2009.

                        - Evan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 16, 2008
                          I was off on a mercy mission with Steve to find a space heater. It just
                          happened that Steve found one and rode back to the gathering with Evan
                          and Bryan so I didn't have a chance to say goodbye. I suspect I wasn't
                          missed but hey...

                          The gathering was great - the movies, pizza, beer... Leaving Saturday
                          evening got me home without any traffic (less than 3 hours) and well
                          before any bad weather. By next year most InfoAge buildings will have
                          better (or some) heat and better electrics. With a little planning we
                          can set up more test equipment for debugging and repair work. Right now
                          I would be interested in working on one of my IBM 5150's or 5160 (XT?),
                          but I'll probably be past this by our next gettogether.

                          Another thing I'd like is see is for Bill could give us a small taste of
                          his class on vintage computers.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 16, 2008
                            Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > <snip>
                            > The gathering was great - the movies, pizza, beer... Leaving Saturday
                            > <snip>
                            >
                            > Another thing I'd like is see is for Bill could give us a small taste of
                            > his class on vintage computers.
                            >
                            > Jim

                            I have photos of the last day of class to post soon. I just finished
                            the grading. The students' grades were bi-modal.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 16, 2008
                              Bit of a late reaction, Jim?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 17, 2008
                                > Bit of a late reaction, Jim?

                                Bi-Modal. It's an age thing.

                                John A.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 17, 2008
                                  John Allain wrote:
                                  >> Bit of a late reaction, Jim?
                                  >>

                                  > Bi-Modal. It's an age thing.
                                  >
                                  > John A.

                                  Someone turn off the random statement machine.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                                    Andy,

                                    The 3COM switch is passing these very packets and will soon provide a
                                    DECnet bridge - not to mention the hours of fun figuring it all out.

                                    Thanks!
                                    Jim