Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: CPU Board 4x486 50mhz

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
      Bill,

      Vintage servers are always on topic. A 4-way 486 was at the very
      beginning of Intel-based multiprocessing. Intel did not officially
      support multi-processors until the P Pro. There were a couple of
      companies that made early "really big" servers when NT was first introduced.

      Please save it. If you don't want it, bring it on 12/6 and I'll take it
      off your hands. I'll try to identify it.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
        486, 386, and (in my opinion) even 286 are NOT on-topic.

        Vintage servers are always on topic. A 4-way 486
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > Bill,
          >
          > Vintage servers are always on topic. A 4-way 486 was at the very
          > beginning of Intel-based multiprocessing. Intel did not officially
          > support multi-processors until the P Pro. There were a couple of
          > companies that made early "really big" servers when NT was first introduced.
          >
          > Please save it. If you don't want it, bring it on 12/6 and I'll take it
          > off your hands. I'll try to identify it.

          There were multiprocessor x86-based servers in the days of the 80386
          before all that SX/DX stuff. There may have been multiprocessor
          80286-based servers, but I don't remember clearly.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Mark D
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
            Why? What defines the topic. 486 is around the same timing as Atari
            ST/TT/Falcon computers which I consider retro and on topic. I know this
            group tends to deal with MUCH older stuff but that stuff is retro to me.

            Thanks,
            Mark

            Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > 486, 386, and (in my opinion) even 286 are NOT on-topic.

          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
              > Vintage servers are always on topic. A 4-way 486 was at the very
              > beginning of Intel-based multiprocessing. Intel did not officially
              > support multi-processors until the P Pro.

              iPSC? i432?

              --
              Will
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > 486, 386, and (in my opinion) even 286 are NOT on-topic.

                But it is a *4* way 486... ie. not a normal 486..

                Cheers,

                Bryan

              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
                  But in fairness that would not change vintage status, just means its a
                  more rare bird.

                  Thats sort of like saying a GMC Syclone is a vintage truck, which it
                  is not.

                  That said I have to agree with someone else's post that an Atari
                  Falcon feels vintage. Funny how the mind perceives things sometimes.

                  I guess this begs the question, does vintage have a year cutoff? Or
                  is it more intangible and based on a variety of factors like design,
                  lineage, capabilities, etc coupled with its year of introduction?

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
                    I pray that we do not start YATYR debate. (Sorry Mark, not picking on you!)

                    A timeline of chips, on their own, is fine for a mini-exhibit (such as Jeff
                    Jonas already started). But I can't think of any reason to put a 486 server
                    in an exhibit and call it computer history.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
                      Sridhar,

                      Were you BORN when the 286 was considered a server chip? :-)

                      Jim

                      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                      > Jim Scheef wrote:
                      > > Bill,
                      > >
                      > > Vintage servers are always on topic. A 4-way 486 was at the very
                      > > beginning of Intel-based multiprocessing. Intel did not officially
                      > > support multi-processors until the P Pro. There were a couple of
                      > > companies that made early "really big" servers when NT was first
                      > introduced.
                      > >
                      > > Please save it. If you don't want it, bring it on 12/6 and I'll take it
                      > > off your hands. I'll try to identify it.
                      >
                      > There were multiprocessor x86-based servers in the days of the 80386
                      > before all that SX/DX stuff. There may have been multiprocessor
                      > 80286-based servers, but I don't remember clearly.
                      >
                      > Peace... Sridhar

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > Sridhar,
                        >
                        > Were you BORN when the 286 was considered a server chip? :-)

                        8-)

                        When I was born, my father had a DEC PDP-11/70 in the house. (There are
                        pictures of me, as a baby, playing with the operator's console
                        switches... I still have the machine.) The first computer I used on a
                        regular basis was an IBM mainframe over a modem link. Using an IBM 3278
                        terminal. I upgraded to a 3279 later.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
                          Sridhar,

                          None of which answers the question...

                          The IBM AT is now 25 years old. My guess is that you were five at that time.

                          Jim

                          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                          > Jim Scheef wrote:
                          > > Sridhar,
                          > >
                          > > Were you BORN when the 286 was considered a server chip? :-)
                          >
                          > 8-)
                          >
                          > When I was born, my father had a DEC PDP-11/70 in the house. (There are
                          > pictures of me, as a baby, playing with the operator's console
                          > switches... I still have the machine.) The first computer I used on a
                          > regular basis was an IBM mainframe over a modem link. Using an IBM 3278
                          > terminal. I upgraded to a 3279 later.
                          >
                          > Peace... Sridhar

                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
                            Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > None of which answers the question...
                            >
                            > The IBM AT is now 25 years old. My guess is that you were five at that time.

                            A bit more than 6. And I was already regularly using a computer by that
                            age. I had likely written my first program by then, but I probably
                            wasn't coding seriously yet.

                            Peace... Sridhar