Next museum exhibits?

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2008
      Message
      Sometime early next year we can start planning/building our next museum exhibits.  Remember we've got two more rooms to use!

      What exhibits should we build ???????

      Some ideas:
      - Computer entertainment (games, music, art, etc.)
      - Networking (BBS, pre-Web, etc.)
      - Portables (my pet (not "PET") exhibit)
      - Business software (mainframe apps, VisiCalc)
      - Computer culture (endless possibilities!)
      - Storage (kind of obvious what this is)
      - I/O (kind of a dull topic if you ask me)
      - minicomputers (topic speaks for itself)
      - Root technologies (abacus, slide rule, punched card, transistor, etc.)
      - "Exploded PC" (not historic yet, but perhaps interesting ... "walk inside a computer")

      I can see strong arguments in favor of all of these topics.  But we can probably only fit two or three at a time (we can always chance them up ....)

      Your thoughts, fellow MARCHins?  Let the debate begin.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2008
        Message
        >>> (we can always chance them up ....)

        Oops.  Meant "change".
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 18, 2008
          I'm all for
          1) Computer Entertainment it would be the most fun for me and most people.
          2) Computer Culture. I'm all about psychology of computer and fads and such.
          3) Root Technologies. It would be interesting to see what was before computers.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
            All good ideas!

            I would go for the "Exploded PC" and the "root technologies", as
            these would draw upon interesting and available resources.

            Remember the 1980's version of "Bismark" that two enabled 2 players
            to battle it out from remote locations over the phone lines? Well, I
            could see a small exhibit that explains how data used to get sent
            between computers - from disk to memory to output port to modem over
            telephone lines to modem... there would be enough components to be
            visually interesting, and with a theme of graphics to show what's
            happening to the data, it would be a memorable "teaching moment", and
            help a lot of non-tech people to get a glimpse "under the hood" at
            what made this era of computers so exciting... maybe the exhibit
            could be a live transmission - visitor types on this keyboard, shows
            up on that screen...???

            -JohnM.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2008
              Message
              Another exhibit -- a very important one -- that I forgot to list is the "Computer Artifact of the Month".  We can take a random system (or even a random book, part, software, etc.) from the club collection and make a miniature exhibit, changing it every month or two.  For example we could make a mini-exhibit with a book like "Giants Brains" or the "TV Typewriter Cookbook"; a piece of core; a noteworthy killer app; etc. .... or if one of our members has something interesting to exhibit that doesn't fit into a larger exhibit, we could use that space for that, i.e. something about OS/2 from Mark D. or a million other examples.

              I / we also need to spend more time in the local companies exhibit.  We still have to pick up that 083 sorter and we need to put in something related to the ENIAC-UNIVAC history.  Also need to do something for Mr. Grabbe.

              Also, at the InfoAge meeting tonight, someone (whose ID will be anonymous until he says otherwise on this list!) told me there might be an authentic Blue Box available for us.  That would go into our "random" exhibit or perhaps into the computer culture exhibit.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2008
                Guys,

                  Someone recently gave me a TRS-80 model III.
                The connector had fallen off of the internal monitor,
                so I put it back.  Now I get video and I can get into
                BASIC, but if I let it try to boot from the floppy, I don't ever
                get anything on the screen.  The lower drive does spin
                up, then stops after about 5 seconds.  I don't have any
                diskettes for it, and didn't get anything other than the
                main unit.  No manuals, cables, etc.

                   If anyone wants this computer, it's yours for free.
                Say the word and I will bring it to Infoage on Dec 6th.
                Otherwise, you can pick it up any time, here in Medford, NJ.
                I will give it to the first person that contacts me.

                   Bob Grieb

              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2008
                  I would be interested and I'll be there on the 6th. I could use a Model III

                  Kelly

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 23, 2008
                    It's yours.

                        Bob

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
                      How about we finish the "best of micros" exhibit? These machines need a
                      LOT of signage to explain why they are "the best" - not to mention the
                      basic facts about each machine.

                      Jim