Update on MARCH library

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2008
      Message
      Hi,

      Several people inquired in the past few months about the prospects for a MARCH library.

      I brought up this topic at last week's InfoAge meeting.  The answer from Fred is that InfoAge strongly supports us having a computer reference and research library, but nobody's quite sure where to put it until we all move into the H-buildings (at least a couple of years away, I estimate).

      Our four exhibit rooms must be used for that purpose -- exhibits.  We have the basement storage room for long-term use, but it's not such a pleasant place to hang out.  Of course, we are welcome to turn our room down there into someplace nicer, but it's probably not worthwhile.

      We also can't use the small room in the hotel (our former exhibit room) because we have to give that back to InfoAge in exchange for the four exhibit rooms in the second building.

      So, what do we do?  There are a couple of options:
      1. Officially rent a small space in one of the upstairs offices of the hotel.  Some other InfoAge-based clubs already do that, but I have no idea what it costs.  I will informally look into it.
      2. Find "creative" ways to store documents in the exhibit rooms without taking away from the exhibit space.  For example, what if some of the "tables" on which we exhibit computers were actually rows of waist-tall file cabinets, covers with nicer tablecloths than wha we have currently?  That could work, or at least we can try it as an experiment in one of our two not-yet-inhabited rooms.
      3. Any other ideas?  Please chime in as long as they're not TOO outlandish .....

      There already is an official InfoAge library in a large room upstairs in the hotel, but it's 10% devoted to radar and radio.  Which is fine because those topics already have the room overflowing, and I'd rather have a bit more control of a computer library anyhow.

      Meanwhile, the aforementioned radio/radio library room does have two large shelf units full of computer books.  I estimate that about 2/3 of those are modern "how to" books and 1/3 are historic.  Fred says he would be very pleased if we in MARCH sort through all these books and seperate the ones we want and the ones we don't want.  (I intended to start that task during my vacation from work a few weeks ago, but other things came up.)

      Whatever we decide for the MARCH library, it would be good karma points if we work on the main InfoAge library computer book project first, and soon!  So, I plan to go early this Sunday (get there around 10am) and spend about 2 hours working on that.  Who can be there to help?

      - Evan
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2008
        > We have
        > the basement storage room for long-term use, but it's not such a pleasant
        > place to hang out. Of course, we are welcome to turn our room down there
        > into someplace nicer, but it's probably not worthwhile.

        I don't think it has to be pleasant, just conditions good enough to
        not deteriorate the paper before it moves to a permanent home. I
        assume for most stuff it will be lending sign out to known people so you
        don't have to read it their.

        > 2. Find "creative" ways to store documents in the exhibit rooms without
        > taking away from the exhibit space. For example, what if some of the
        > "tables" on which we exhibit computers were actually rows of waist-tall
        > file cabinets, covers with nicer tablecloths than wha we have currently?

        Some of the documents probably should be exhibits. At the time period
        we are covering everything came with manuals and you used them. Either
        a centeral libraryish display with a selection of relavent documents or
        documents with the particular machine seems appropriate. I'm sure that
        still leaves a bunch of documentation without a home which reasonable
        looking hidden storage in the room seems ok.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2008
          Message
          I found out about renting one of the hotel's upstairs offices.  It costs $1 per square foot for InfoAge member groups.  That's obscenely cheap in the real world, but in the MARCH world it is probably beyond our means.  We would need at least (I'm guessing) a 10 x 15 room = $150/month = $1,800/year.  We can't afford that much.

          Steve G. is convinced that we CAN make a dehumidifier work in our basement storage room.  For not a lot of money (and maybe with a special fundraiser), we can clean up all or part of our secure area down there, throw on some sheetrock (right now it's just a framed wall) and paint, put in cheap carpet and better lights .... and presto-chango, we've got a habitable, bright room to use for a MARCH library.  It wouldn't cost us much money because InfoAge can supply all sorts of raw materials.

          I vote "yes" for this idea unless someone has a better idea.  (David noted that some of our books / documents / magazines / manuals can be on display, but there are WAY more items that need to be in storage.)

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
            wrote:
            > Steve G. is convinced that we CAN make a dehumidifier work in our
            basement storage room.
            > .... and presto-chango, we've got a habitable, bright room
            > to use for a MARCH library.
            > I vote "yes" for this idea unless someone has a better idea.

            I don't have a better idea, but before you do this you might want to
            discuss your plans for a basement library with Alex Magoun at the
            David Sarnoff Library (I'd be happy to introduce you.) The RCA
            Laboratories building has been there since 1941, yet it was just last
            year when a large amount of archival documents being stored in the
            basement was damaged when the building flooded at a never-before seen
            level. You can read about it at
            http://www.davidsarnoff.org/flood.html. Most but not all of the
            archival material was restored to useable but not undamaged
            condition, at a huge expense.

            Be careful!

            --Dave Sica