Update on Model II computers (BillD, Ragoo, Ian P)

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
      OK, I have 3 surplus. The problem is I only have ONE KEYBOARD surplus. So do you all still want these without the keyboard?

      I have one for
      BillD
      Dan Roganti
      Ian Primus

      Do you guys still want one without the keyboard?

      I am working on making an adapter to allow a PC keyboard to work with the model II. The keyboard protocol for the model II is a very simple 8 bit serial stream from an 8021 microprocessor. I think I can build something using a very simple converter.

      Kelly
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008

        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        OK, I have 3 surplus. The problem is I only have ONE KEYBOARD surplus. So do you all still want these without the keyboard?

        I have one for
        BillD
        Dan Roganti
        Ian Primus

        Do you guys still want one without the keyboard?

        I am working on making an adapter to allow a PC keyboard to work with the model II. The keyboard protocol for the model II is a very simple 8 bit serial stream from an 8021 microprocessor. I think I can build something using a very simple converter.

        Kelly,

        I'll take one without

        I can give you a hand on building them that wknd in Dec.
        You mentioned 'adapter' first and then 'converter' second.
        If you have any info on making this interface send it over.
        I guess we'll need a PS/2 connector(female) to begin this--I have a few.
        I can look around here and bring any parts.

        =Dan
        [ --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
          Kelly,

          I'll take one without

          I can give you a hand on building them that wknd in Dec.
          You mentioned 'adapter' first and then 'converter' second.
          If you have any info on making this interface send it over.
          I guess we'll need a PS/2 connector(female) to begin this--I have a few.
          I can look around here and bring any parts.

          =Dan

          [ --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ <http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/> ]

          Well, it is more of a converter. Something VERY SIMILAR to this:

          http://kbdbabel.sourceforge.net/

          Kelly
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
            Kelly,
            What I need is a working disk drive. I will take the unit that has a
            working disk drive, otherwise I don't care about the machine itself.
            bd

            > OK, I have 3 surplus. The problem is I only have ONE KEYBOARD surplus. So
            do you all still want these without the keyboard?

            > I have one for
            > BillD
            > Dan Roganti
            > Ian Primus
            >
            > Do you guys still want one without the keyboard?
            >
            > I am working on making an adapter to allow a PC keyboard to work with the
            model II. The keyboard protocol for the model II is a very simple 8 bit
            serial stream from an 8021 microprocessor. I think I can build something
            using a very simple converter.

            > Kelly

          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
              I have just a disk drive stripped out of an expansion unit. Want that instead? A lot smaller, but not much ligther.

              I don't know if any particular disk drives are working or not.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                Do the expansion unit drives, are they the same as the internal?
                bd

                > I have just a disk drive stripped out of an expansion unit. Want that
                instead? A lot smaller, but not much ligther.

                > I don't know if any particular disk drives are working or not.

              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                  Kelly,

                     I already have PIC code that can talk to a PS/2 keybd if
                  you are interested.  I could help design an adaptor for you.
                  I have used it on two projects already.  It doesn't transmit
                  to the PS/2 keybd (turn on LED's).  Only receives.

                     Bob Grieb

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                    Seek out the Atari Eiffel project which is a PIC based PS2 keyboard and
                    mouse adapter for the Atari IKBD controller. It may work both ways
                    because it turns the caps/num/scroll lock lights on and off. Source
                    code is publicly available.

                    Thanks,
                    Mark

                    Bob Grieb wrote:

                    > Kelly,
                    >
                    > I already have PIC code that can talk to a PS/2 keybd if
                    > you are interested. I could help design an adaptor for you.
                    > I have used it on two projects already. It doesn't transmit
                    > to the PS/2 keybd (turn on LED's). Only receives.
                    >
                    > Bob Grieb

                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 14, 2008
                      That would be great. The protocol for the Tandy keyboards is very simple. It looks like a 5 MHz (or 3.58 MHz depending on what you read) clock from the keyboard to the comptuer. The data is at the same rate. I can email you the PDF of the pages from the manual for you to review. I can't get your email address from the list here, but I could look it up on yahoo groups.

                      Here is a paragraph or 2 (OCRd so not the best) from the technical manual. Note that these keyboards would work for the Model II, 12, 16 and 6000.

                      The keyboard control consists of an LS74 Flip-Flop (U17 pins 2, 3, and 5) showing the keyboard mode. That is, when data is being clocked in from the keyboard, a busy signal is sent to the system bus at the end of every word (8 bits of data). A busy (active low) signal goes from pin 5 of U17, back to the keyboard processor telling it to stop sending data Also the same signal goes toward the CPU under the name of Keyboard Interrupt Request (KBIRQ*l. telling it that a word of data is ready to be read. Data is clocked serially out of the keyboard into the shift register (U6), and then latched into the system data bus when FCRD* port is activated. Note that when FCRD* is activated (low), the Flip-Flop U17, pins 2 and 3) becomes set and the KBIRQ* or BUSY* signal goes high (disable). Now that the keyboard logic does not receive the active busy signal, it will start sending data again.

                      The timing diagram of Figure 5 shows how data is leaving the keyboard in the serial fashion. Notice the narrower pulse labeled End of Data pulse. It is generated at the end of an 8 data bit sequence. Its rising edge latches a low to the output of U17 pin 5. This low signal (KBIRQ* or BUSY*) informs the CPU that a word is ready to be read. It also prevents the keyboard from sending more data until the actual 8 bit word at the output of the shift register (U6) is buffered into the data bus (in other words, read by the CPU).

                      T1 10,usMIN

                      T 2 l,usMIN

                      T3 l,usMIN

                      T4 l,usMIN