RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Short Video of System Source Computer Museum

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
      A few thoughts:

      >>> I fired off a complaint to the developer of the Web site, with details
      to make my point: this is not an historically accurate or technologically
      accurate consideration of these devices.

      Just to clarify, although Bob cited myself and Bill Degnan, we both had very
      little to do with the result. Bill and I got involved a year or two ago,
      and our involvement was short-lived. I can't speak for Bill, but I
      personally am not endorsing anything here.

      >>> But I take issue with something I see very often, and I'll mention it
      here in general. It's the tendency to review PAST computers in PRESENT
      terms, and then to say that "computers" of the past were "off the mark" or
      "deficient", or as in this case, "almost" computers.

      I agree 100% with what Herb said.

      >>> but I know Evan has stopped reading this already as it's too long

      :-)

      >>> One can learn FROM THE PAST. Even if it's about old stuff, about old
      people, and dead technology. You can learn about people, about companies,
      about design, even about technology. Why make the same "old" mistakes, over
      and over? Even if you don't like history, maybe you want to avoid old
      mistakes.

      Again, I agree 100%. That's something I learned from Sellam a few years
      ago. Anyone can say, "Here's the past" -- and for some people that is
      sufficient -- but I think it gets interesting when we say, "Here's what we
      can LEARN from the past."
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
        The video was cool but some transitions were either not smooth or were
        incomplete as a few images were never shown clearly - even if I let the
        entire file download before playing it.

        The content was quite interesting. I like the fact that they included a
        One Laptop Per Child XO-1 (the instant collectible from last Christmas)
        as they flashed thru a bunch of portables.

        Jim