Re: [midatlanticretro] Short Video of System Source Computer Museum

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
      Bob,
      Very nice. I heartily recommend anyone interested in computer history
      to take the trip to Baltimore to see the museum for themselves. The
      exhibits go well beyond microcomputing. There are also displays
      exploring pre-industrial counting devices, mechanical computers,
      mini/mainframes, the evolution of memory, and storage devices, etc. I
      have been there three times myself. Two or so years ago I helped Bob
      rescue a Linotype machine. Now restored it's safely in its new home.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
        I'm due for an update myself. I have been quietly gathering together
        the next installment of vintagecomputer.net

        Thanks for the post, I will take a look. - But first check the link, I
        can't get to it, maybe the server is down? It's after 12AM.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
          >>> I heartily recommend anyone interested in computer history to take the
          trip to Baltimore to see the museum for themselves

          Note to the public: it's not really a "museum"; it's a private collection in
          a private company's building.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
            On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, B Degnan wrote:

            > Thanks for the post, I will take a look. - But first check the link, I
            > can't get to it, maybe the server is down? It's after 12AM.

            Sorry about that - I should know better than to post at midnight:

            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Books/
            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/
            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Sun/

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
              I followed the Web link to the museum's Web site. It's a visually
              impressive set of Web pages on a variety of devices related to
              computing and digital technology or information processing. Broadly
              defined, even a lineotype machine fits in those categories. That's
              fine by me.

              But I was *not* impressed with the text associated with the Web pages.
              I saw this description on the "almost computers" section, which
              stopped me cold:

              > Almost Computers were computers were just that, computers
              > who almost offered the complete package to end users, but
              > somehow how missed the mark. Computers that didn't have
              > decent input or output like Pong.
              >
              > Pong hooked up a TV to a microprocessor for text and
              > graphical output because it didn't have a monitor packaged
              > with it. Or like the AIM. The AIM was a real computer, but
              > it didn't have a practical display, it was more like a
              > calculator than monitors of today.
              >
              > The RCA almost got it right. The RCA lacked a decent OS
              > forcing users to enter data in HEX.

              My first read of this was confusion. Did he say Pong was an "almost
              computer"? Or that the RCA video game or the AIM (6502-based computer)
              were "almost computers?" I fired off a complaint to the developer of
              the Web site, with details to make my point: this is not an
              historically accurate or technologically accurate consideration of
              these devices.

              I don't want to argue the details here, in case the discussion would
              seem mean-spirited. This person and their company should be commended
              for developing and preserving a collection of "vintage" computers and
              related technology, creating a Web site, and allowing people to see a
              private collection.

              But I take issue with something I see very often, and I'll mention it
              here in general. It's the tendency to review PAST computers in PRESENT
              terms, and then to say that "computers" of the past were "off the
              mark" or "deficient", or as in this case, "almost" computers.

              For example, it's unfair and even inaccurate to call many early video
              games "almost" computers, because many of them could NEVER HAVE BEEN
              "computers". "Pong" in particular was a collection of small digital
              logic chips. No microprocessor, no memory, no software, no firmware,
              no programming language, no way to add ANY of these items.

              And yet, it was "digital", it *was* successful, and it led Atari to
              build some early computers which, without doubt, *were* computers. So
              it's signifigant, but it's not an "almost computer". It is what it
              WAS, an early digital video gaming machine.

              (I have a lot more to say about this, but I know Evan has stopped
              reading this already as it's too long. So I'll just wrap this up.)

              In summary, looking at old computing and saying "they failed because
              they weren't modern enough", simply blames them for being old - using
              the technology and tools of the time. If that is an acceptable thing
              to do, then why bother with "old" computers (or old video games) at
              all? Why collect them, why write about them? And, why would a museum
              have them around, just to say "here's some failures, too bad"?

              One point I'll have to explain. ONe can learn FROM THE PAST. Even if
              it's about old stuff, about old people, and dead technology. You can
              learn about people, about companies, about design, even about
              technology. Why make the same "old" mistakes, over and over? Even if
              you don't like history, maybe you want to avoid old mistakes.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            • Bob Schwier
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
                When I chose a computer for my daughter in 1980, I wanted a general machine
                that would hook up to the television because being a student living on GI Bill,
                I was not exactly rolling in the type of wealth that could handle both the
                computer and the monitor.
                bs

              • trailingedge.geo
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Herb Johnson"
                  <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

                  > (I have a lot more to say about this, but I know Evan has stopped
                  > reading this already as it's too long.

                  Evan probably stopped at "I followed..."

                  > For example, it's unfair and even inaccurate to call many early
                  video
                  > games "almost" computers, because many of them could NEVER HAVE BEEN
                  > "computers".

                  I clearly remember one that was:

                  I recall getting way excited in 1978 when Bally introduced the "Bally
                  Professional Arcade." I was managing an amusement arcade at the time,
                  it was still mostly pinball machines back then, and was pretty into
                  video games (the Atari 2800 was still king!) I was also very excited
                  about the possibilities of "personal" computers such as the recently
                  introduced Apple II but being fresh out of school, I had NO money to
                  spare for either a video game system OR a computer. And then along
                  comes this machine that could play *multiple* video games AND with a
                  few "optional accessories" also be a REAL COMPUTER! Imagine the
                  possibilities of that! Well, I never did manage to scrape together
                  enough to get it but I stayed in love with the idea enough that I did
                  finally pick one up on eBay a few years ago.

                  --Dave Sica
                  dave@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
[...]

                    The Bally Astrovision you mean?  It ran BASIC and Z-GRASS languages.

                    Here is a good article on the subject (Winter CES 1981) that includes some stuff about the Bally Computer.  I have never seen one before, do you have pictures?

                    http://vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Creative%20Computing%20March%201981%20International%20Winter%20Consumer%20Electronics%20Show.pdf

                    Bill
                  • trailingedge.geo
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
                      > The Bally Astrovision you mean? It ran BASIC and Z-GRASS languages.
                      >
                      > Here is a good article on the subject (Winter CES 1981) that includes
                      > some stuff about the Bally Computer. I have never seen one before,
                      do
                      > you have pictures?

                      The first incarnation that hit the market was called the Bally Arcade.
                      Then (call it version 2.0) it was renamed the Astrocade. This was after
                      Bally was no longer involved. IIRC, I was careful to get the first gen
                      version. I'll have to dig it out and see. I'll take some pictures. I
                      could even display it at InfoAge if that was appropriate.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 12, 2008
                        A few thoughts:

                        >>> I fired off a complaint to the developer of the Web site, with details
                        to make my point: this is not an historically accurate or technologically
                        accurate consideration of these devices.

                        Just to clarify, although Bob cited myself and Bill Degnan, we both had very
                        little to do with the result. Bill and I got involved a year or two ago,
                        and our involvement was short-lived. I can't speak for Bill, but I
                        personally am not endorsing anything here.

                        >>> But I take issue with something I see very often, and I'll mention it
                        here in general. It's the tendency to review PAST computers in PRESENT
                        terms, and then to say that "computers" of the past were "off the mark" or
                        "deficient", or as in this case, "almost" computers.

                        I agree 100% with what Herb said.

                        >>> but I know Evan has stopped reading this already as it's too long

                        :-)

                        >>> One can learn FROM THE PAST. Even if it's about old stuff, about old
                        people, and dead technology. You can learn about people, about companies,
                        about design, even about technology. Why make the same "old" mistakes, over
                        and over? Even if you don't like history, maybe you want to avoid old
                        mistakes.

                        Again, I agree 100%. That's something I learned from Sellam a few years
                        ago. Anyone can say, "Here's the past" -- and for some people that is
                        sufficient -- but I think it gets interesting when we say, "Here's what we
                        can LEARN from the past."
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 25, 2008
                          The video was cool but some transitions were either not smooth or were
                          incomplete as a few images were never shown clearly - even if I let the
                          entire file download before playing it.

                          The content was quite interesting. I like the fact that they included a
                          One Laptop Per Child XO-1 (the instant collectible from last Christmas)
                          as they flashed thru a bunch of portables.

                          Jim