Re: Good day at the museum

  • arkaxow
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      wrote:

      > Today was the first Sunday since pre-"Haunted Hotel" that things
      were
      > relatively back to normal at InfoAge.
      >
      > Jeff Brace was there from 2-4. We moved some supplies from the old
      Hotel
      > exhibit room into our new museum rooms. Also, He and I (finally!)
      plugged
      > in several of the computers in the 70s/80s micro exhibit. Three
      glitches
      > however: 1., we couldn't find a video cable for the C-64; 2., our
      IBM PC
      > gives some obscure error message ("3B1"); 3., we don't have Osborne
      boot
      > disks.
      >
      > We had about 10 visitors today in four groups. All were very
      knowledgeable
      > and interested in what we do with vintage computers. Good stuff.
      >
      > I didn't see Fred today, but I'll talk to him this Wed. night about
      our Dec.
      > 6 event. He already knows that we'll use one of the cottages and
      the
      > telecom building. But he tends to need reminders. :)

      Yes, Evan it was fun to actually see some of these computers working
      rather than just sitting there. Some of them I have used before, some
      I have never used before, so it was interesting to see what they were
      like and how they worked. It was fun to see that the "on" switch was
      in different places on different machines and to guess where that
      was. It was fun to see how to connect them and which cables they
      need. The most fun was to do a test in BASIC on each of them to see
      if everything was working. Each had different flavors of basic,
      syntax and keyboard layout. Watch those sticky keys !

      Also my favorite among them (C64) didn't have the monitor cable, so I
      couldn't test it :( Well that will be for another time :)

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        >>> so it was interesting to see what they were like and how they worked.

        Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
        minicomputers...
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          Message
          I forgot to mention, in our first exhibit room, we also replaced the block of wood with a real doorstop.  :)
        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
            So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

            --
            See you space cowboy...
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
              Message
              > >> So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

              We've also got Jeff Jonas.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                > minicomputers...

                You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                  Road trip to Sridhar's house!

                  > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                  > minicomputers...

                  You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                  Peace... Sridhar

                • Matt Patoray
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                    And if you want some real fun, add a small Western Electric #5 crossbar or Step By Step telephone switching system. It would be midatlantic related as it was developed at Bell Labs, well the #5 XB was anyway.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2010
                      We got quite a lot accomplished today. Me, Matt, and Jeff B. all
                      arrived around 12:30. We began to palletize everything that's not on
                      wheels from our "storage corner" of building 9010-B (one of the famous
                      "H-buildings") .... any MARCHin who's seen that corner knows how densely
                      packed it was with big iron! We got about 90% of it done today, and we
                      moved all of that into our new museum section. We ran out of pallets,
                      but Chris and Brian arrived later (bringing with them an unassembled
                      Morrow S-100 kit for the club!), and then went out to hunt for more.
                      We'll get still more pallets by Tuesday, courtesy of Ft. Monmouth, and
                      then Matt and I will finish the job Wednesday. Thus, after Wednesday,
                      we'll have vacated that storage corner. Everything is now neatly
                      arranged with lots of space to walk and move pallets.

                      We didn't take pictures, but it struck as as AMAZING that all this stuff
                      had fit in that little corner! Spread out, it nearly takes up 2,000
                      square feet.

                      Big thanks to all who helped today.

                      We'll probably take next weekend off for Labor Day.