Good day at the museum

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      Message
      Today was the first Sunday since pre-"Haunted Hotel" that things were relatively back to normal at InfoAge.

      Jeff Brace was there from 2-4.  We moved some supplies from the old Hotel exhibit room into our new museum rooms.  Also, He and I (finally!) plugged in several of the computers in the 70s/80s micro exhibit.  Three glitches however: 1., we couldn't find a video cable for the C-64; 2., our IBM PC gives some obscure error message ("3B1"); 3., we don't have Osborne boot disks.

      We had about 10 visitors today in four groups.  All were very knowledgeable and interested in what we do with vintage computers.  Good stuff.

      I didn't see Fred today, but I'll talk to him this Wed. night about our Dec. 6 event.  He already knows that we'll use one of the cottages and the telecom building.  But he tends to need reminders.  :)
    • arkaxow
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        wrote:

        > Today was the first Sunday since pre-"Haunted Hotel" that things
        were
        > relatively back to normal at InfoAge.
        >
        > Jeff Brace was there from 2-4. We moved some supplies from the old
        Hotel
        > exhibit room into our new museum rooms. Also, He and I (finally!)
        plugged
        > in several of the computers in the 70s/80s micro exhibit. Three
        glitches
        > however: 1., we couldn't find a video cable for the C-64; 2., our
        IBM PC
        > gives some obscure error message ("3B1"); 3., we don't have Osborne
        boot
        > disks.
        >
        > We had about 10 visitors today in four groups. All were very
        knowledgeable
        > and interested in what we do with vintage computers. Good stuff.
        >
        > I didn't see Fred today, but I'll talk to him this Wed. night about
        our Dec.
        > 6 event. He already knows that we'll use one of the cottages and
        the
        > telecom building. But he tends to need reminders. :)

        Yes, Evan it was fun to actually see some of these computers working
        rather than just sitting there. Some of them I have used before, some
        I have never used before, so it was interesting to see what they were
        like and how they worked. It was fun to see that the "on" switch was
        in different places on different machines and to guess where that
        was. It was fun to see how to connect them and which cables they
        need. The most fun was to do a test in BASIC on each of them to see
        if everything was working. Each had different flavors of basic,
        syntax and keyboard layout. Watch those sticky keys !

        Also my favorite among them (C64) didn't have the monitor cable, so I
        couldn't test it :( Well that will be for another time :)

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          >>> so it was interesting to see what they were like and how they worked.

          Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
          minicomputers...
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
            Message
            I forgot to mention, in our first exhibit room, we also replaced the block of wood with a real doorstop.  :)
          • Jeffrey Frady
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
              So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

              --
              See you space cowboy...
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                Message
                > >> So this is it Evan?  My car broke down so you got another Jeff to replace me!

                We've also got Jeff Jonas.
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                  > minicomputers...

                  You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                    Road trip to Sridhar's house!

                    > Heh ... If you think those were cool, wait 'til we teach you about
                    > minicomputers...

                    You're welcome any time, if you want to step into one of my mainframes.

                    Peace... Sridhar

                  • Matt Patoray
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                      And if you want some real fun, add a small Western Electric #5 crossbar or Step By Step telephone switching system. It would be midatlantic related as it was developed at Bell Labs, well the #5 XB was anyway.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29 7:32 PM
                        We got quite a lot accomplished today. Me, Matt, and Jeff B. all
                        arrived around 12:30. We began to palletize everything that's not on
                        wheels from our "storage corner" of building 9010-B (one of the famous
                        "H-buildings") .... any MARCHin who's seen that corner knows how densely
                        packed it was with big iron! We got about 90% of it done today, and we
                        moved all of that into our new museum section. We ran out of pallets,
                        but Chris and Brian arrived later (bringing with them an unassembled
                        Morrow S-100 kit for the club!), and then went out to hunt for more.
                        We'll get still more pallets by Tuesday, courtesy of Ft. Monmouth, and
                        then Matt and I will finish the job Wednesday. Thus, after Wednesday,
                        we'll have vacated that storage corner. Everything is now neatly
                        arranged with lots of space to walk and move pallets.

                        We didn't take pictures, but it struck as as AMAZING that all this stuff
                        had fit in that little corner! Spread out, it nearly takes up 2,000
                        square feet.

                        Big thanks to all who helped today.

                        We'll probably take next weekend off for Labor Day.