Re: going down (static) memory lane

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "mejeep_ferret" <mejeep@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm sorting my old chips and found things from PolyPaks, Lafayette
      > electronics (mint in package). Even weirder are the chips from Radio
      > Shack: General Instrument SP0256-017 and SPR016-117 for a talking
      > clock, TI SN76488 sound generator.

      Any other eclectic chip oddities that you'd like to share with us?
      I'm myself looking at a MC68000 chip I pulled from an old non-working
      SCSI multi-tape drive.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
        Hi, Jonathan. Intro please ... age / location / interests / how you heard about MARCH?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
          Okay. Intro:

          Age: 23
          Location: Southeast Wisconsin
          Interests: Classic commodore computers mainly with a mix/smattering
          of other somewhat vintage computers.
          How I heard about your group: I think i heard about your group from
          one of the people who frequents/ed IRC channel #vc on irc.gimp.net

          Yeah I know shameless plug.

          Anywho, I've got these computers:

          1x TRS-80 Model 1
          2x TRS-80 Model 3 (one with disk drives, the other without. I've
          tried to install disk drives into one of them that had no disk
          drives... and couldn't get them to work. The one that had working
          diskdrives wouldn't format disks (probably wrong disks or dirty head
          (s)) but could read the bootdisks.
          1x COCO1
          1x COCO2

          1x Working APPLE IIGS (WITH CFFA and ram expansion)
          1x Maybe working APPLE IIGS

          at least 1 of the following working:
          VIC-20
          C64
          C128

          I've got some more modern stuff though too.

          I've got an SNES and a PS2 as well as a GBC and GBA.

          I hope that covered the basics.

          Sincerely,
          dracosilv

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
            >>> Age: 23 Location: Southeast Wisconsin Interests: Classic commodore
            computers mainly with a mix/smattering of other somewhat vintage computers.
            How I heard about your group: I think i heard about your group from one of
            the people who frequents/ed IRC channel #vc on irc.gimp.net Yeah I know
            shameless plug.

            No problem, we encourage all vintage computer communities!

            We also welcome people from all over the galaxy, but keep in mind that we're
            mostly in the Mid-Atlantic. When you see us mention InfoAge or just "the
            museum" we mean our home base here in New Jersey. :)
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
              Dragosilv,

              It was probably me (Arkaxow) who told you about this group Winking smiley emoticon  I have been in that group often talking and sometimes mentioning MARCH. I figure the more the merrier. It can't hurt to share knowledge and friendship. The more people we have interested in vintage computers the better for all of us. I actually found out about that group from someone on c64friends or c-64 irc channel. And I believe he went to VCF East 5.0 as well. Maybe it was Bryan Pope. He could have mentioned the channel to you as well. I lose track of who I talked to where and who told me about what.

              Jeff

              --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, Jonathan. Intro please ... age / location / interests / how you
              heard about MARCH?

            • mejeep_ferret
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
                > Any other eclectic chip oddities that you'd like to share with us?
                > I'm myself looking at a MC68000 chip I pulled from an old non-working
                > SCSI multi-tape drive.

                I made a nice display of CPUs for MARCH that ought to find space
                again, from 40 to 200 pins and oddities such as the AT&T 3B2 CPU with
                uneven pin spacing. I still have a box of old CPUs as I marvel at the
                pin count from 40 to nearly 1,000 now.