HP 7978A Mag tape 9-track 6250bpi

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
      Hello all,

      I have one of these in the HP rack/cabinet; the operator's manual is
      included. It is free to a good home, pick up only in 06776.

      I rescued this about a year ago to use with a uVAX thinking it had a
      SCSI interface. Unfortunately it is HP-IB. The previous owner was a
      company in Bristol, CT, where I was assured the unit was working well
      when it was removed from service several years earlier. The tape drive
      and the cabinet are immaculate.

      So, HP fans, is there any interest? I'm offering it here first. It will
      go up on ccTalk in a few days so don't wait!

      Jim
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
        On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

        > I rescued this about a year ago to use with a uVAX thinking it had a
        > SCSI interface. Unfortunately it is HP-IB. The previous owner was a
        > company in Bristol, CT, where I was assured the unit was working well
        > when it was removed from service several years earlier. The tape drive
        > and the cabinet are immaculate.

        The 7978A was commonly used with the later series HP3000 minicomputers,
        whose peripherals were mostly HP-IB based. I worked on them briefly
        around 1988. No vacuum columns on this one - it uses a buffer for tape
        tensioning.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • John Allain
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
          > Unfortunately it is HP-IB.

          Jim,
          Didn't try it at all yourself?
          You have a lot of HP. No IB hosts?
          John A.
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
            John,

            I recently obtained an HP Integral but I do not have any drivers for the
            tape drive. In fact I have no Integral software at all at this point.
            That is my only HP-IB host.

            Jim