Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Anyone using vintage logic chips

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 24, 2008
      B Degnan wrote:
      > Mike Willegal wrote:
      >
      >> Unicorn Electronics is a great source for vintage era parts, but if
      >> you look at their catalog, a lot of the 74xx series parts are listed
      >> with as discontinued, stock conditions may vary,, what ever that
      >> means. In any case I had a hard time finding a reliable 74166 for my
      >> Apple II replica and that is the only 74xx series part used on the
      >> board. I must admit that I didn't initially know about Unicorn
      >> Electronics, though.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Mike Willegal
      >>

      > The other day, I was taking a walk downtown in Wilmington and I came
      > upon a place called D&M Electronics. Their inventory was a little
      > spotty, but they had a rare item - The barrel shaped 3.6 V battery for
      > the Amiga 2000-4000 series. I would compare D&M to a Radioshak without
      > the commercial items and toys, and more electronics. I also bought some
      > heat sink compound and a 25-pin male to female RS232 cable. They are
      > not a chip seller per se, but it's nice that there is still a
      > "traditional" electronics shop in Wilmington, Delaware.

      I hate to be a pain, but do these 3.6V barrel shaped batteries have the
      two pieces of metal welded to them so that you can solder the battery to
      the motherboard?

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 27, 2008
        Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

        > I hate to be a pain, but do these 3.6V barrel shaped batteries have the
        > two pieces of metal welded to them so that you can solder the
        battery to
        > the motherboard?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bryan

        Brian, 3.6V batteries are not "rare", they are just not carried
        in-store by Radio Shack. They can be bought, with metal tabs or
        without, from a number of commercial electronic parts distributors.
        Digikey and Jameco and Mouser come to mind, there are others on the
        Web. Typically one has to order $25 or so in parts, which only makes
        sense because who wants to pay $7 shipping for a $5 battery? Shipping
        costs usually have a several dollar minimum.

        Appropos of the thread about "vintage logic", these vendors sell many
        older TTL chips and many older microprocessors. Jameco sells 8080's
        amnd "straight" TTL (74XX) from the catalog for instance.

        Bottom line - I'd advise everyone to get a Jameco and a Digikey
        catalog, as a source of prices and availability of small electronic parts.

        Herb JOhnson
        retrotechnology.com