Vintage Chip Collecting was: Anyone using vintage logic chips

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
      This is a topic of some interest to me, although I am not really a
      collector of vintage chips per se. I can say that in Japan, they go nuts
      over the ceramic/gold 4004's and I have seen some of the old processors and
      memory go for more than $200 on a regular basis. Way back I bought a few
      of the chips I thought were "historic" and I have been holding on to them
      as a collector. The basic set of processors, etc. It's a great subset of
      vintage computing, and works well for people who don't have a lot of space
      for the full systems. There are a lot of chip collectors out there, there
      may even be a page or two dedicated to this subset of vc
      collecting/history.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
        Old chips: $100
        Can of gold spray paint: $10
        Sales to Japanese collectors: ??

        nevermind... the trend goes in the wrong direction... <g>

        -jm

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...>
        wrote:

        > This is a topic of some interest to me, although I am not really a
        > collector of vintage chips per se. I can say that in Japan, they
        go nuts
        > over the ceramic/gold 4004's and I have seen some of the old
        processors and
        > memory go for more than $200 on a regular basis. Way back I bought
        a few
        > of the chips I thought were "historic" and I have been holding on
        to them
        > as a collector. The basic set of processors, etc. It's a great
        subset of
        > vintage computing, and works well for people who don't have a lot
        of space
        > for the full systems. There are a lot of chip collectors out
        there, there
        > may even be a page or two dedicated to this subset of vc
        > collecting/history.
        > Bill

      • Stan Brewer
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
          Meanwhile you have people here, asking about the availability of ANY 4004 being ignored.

          Stan

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008

            Bill and Evan,
              Since you insist on insulting me off list I will unsubscribe and block your addresses from my e-mail.

                                            Your Welcome,

                                                  Stan

            Bill Degnan wrote:
            You are a strange person Mr Brewer.  Find someone else to pick on.
            Thanks.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
              Stan Brewer wrote:

              > Bill and Evan,
              > Since you insist on insulting me off list I will unsubscribe and
              > block your addresses from my e-mail.

              ?????????????!!!!

              I personally know both Bill and Evan and I know that is something they
              would *not* do. Do what you must!

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              > Your Welcome,
              >
              > Stan
              >
              > Bill Degnan wrote:
              >> You are a strange person Mr Brewer. Find someone else to pick on.
              >> Thanks.
              >> Bill

            • fairlanefastback
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                I don't know what things were said to Stan (or from him in return)
                beyond the snippet shared, but I'm guessing a misunderstanding is
                involved here. Its almost Friday, which for most of us hopefully is a
                good thing each week. Hopefully everyone can make up, or at least
                agree to disagree or something. This is supposed to be a hobby after all.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
                wrote:

                > Stan Brewer wrote:
                > >
                > > Bill and Evan,
                > > Since you insist on insulting me off list I will unsubscribe and
                > > block your addresses from my e-mail.
                > >
                > ?????????????!!!!
                >
                > I personally know both Bill and Evan and I know that is something they
                > would *not* do. Do what you must!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Bryan
                >

                > > Your Welcome,
                > >
                > > Stan
                > >
                > > Bill Degnan wrote:
                > >> You are a strange person Mr Brewer. Find someone else to pick on.
                > >> Thanks.
                > >> Bill
              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                  I don't know what was said to Stan, or what he said in return in these messages (beyond the snippet shown), but I'm guessing this is some type of misunderstanding.  Its almost Friday, which is something to look forward to for most of us.  I hope you guys can either make up or at least agree to disagree.  This is just a hobby after all.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                    Message
                    I can't explain this.  I didn't insult anyone.  And nobody who's been here for more than 30 seconds would ever doubt Bill's contributions.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                      Evan I don't think anyone questioned Bill's contributions, at least
                      not that I saw on the public list. If you really feel you didn't
                      insult the man why don't you email him from another address (since
                      he's blocked you supposedly) and work it out off-list? Bryan's
                      already defended you and Bill on the list in direct response, now you
                      are defending Bill on the list as well. Stan said he is off the list
                      so he can't defend his position in return here any longer.
                      Regardless, it shouldn't play out here anyway. Hopefully you can work
                      this out. If not, it stays where it should, between the three of you.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                        >>> why don't you email him from another address

                        I did. But replied to email using FIFO method.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 26, 2008
                          Weird. I posted that days ago and it finally showed up. Thats strange!
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 26, 2008
                            >>> Weird. I posted that days ago and it finally showed up. Thats strange!

                            Must be Yahoo's way of telling you to LET IT GO ALREADY.
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 26, 2008
                              wrote:

                              > Must be Yahoo's way of telling you to LET IT GO ALREADY.

                              Piss off Evan, really. Don't write to me in CAPS with orders. Got
                              it?
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 26, 2008
                                >>> Must be Yahoo's way of telling you to LET IT GO ALREADY.

                                >> Piss off Evan, really. Don't write to me in CAPS with orders. Got
                                it?

                                Several respected senior MARCHins wrote to me and said you, along with Stan,
                                were/are really getting on their nerves. Don't bother getting into a flame
                                war with me because you will lose .... and because I have a "ban" button and
                                you don't.
                              • fairlanefastback
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 26, 2008
                                  wrote:

                                  > >> Piss off Evan, really. Don't write to me in CAPS with orders.
                                  Got
                                  > it?
                                  >
                                  > Several respected senior MARCHins wrote to me and said you, along
                                  with Stan,
                                  > were/are really getting on their nerves. Don't bother getting into
                                  a flame
                                  > war with me because you will lose .... and because I have a "ban"
                                  button and
                                  > you don't.

                                  Its not my fault the system posted a message three days after it was
                                  sent, which you can see in the message header. I only replied to it
                                  saying it was strange so it would not confuse anyone. And then you
                                  reply in CAPS. It was not some fresh new message, There was nothing
                                  to let go. And my message at the time was asking you all to try to
                                  bury whatever hatchet you guys had to boot. Certainly that can't be
                                  all that controversial. Sure you have a ban button. You are the only
                                  one talking about a flame war. Not sure what your declaration about
                                  winning is supposed to be all about, nor your making this something
                                  for your entire mailing list if you have some issue. If you do why am
                                  I hearing about it only on the entire public list for the first time?
                                  CAPS is yelling Evan. Being a moderator you can choose to be rude if
                                  you want, but I haven't done anything like this to you to deserve
                                  such. And you have had my email address for some time. You could of
                                  conversed with me directly if there was some list of "senior respected
                                  Marchins" with issues right? You might want to ponder this a bit if
                                  you want to really be fair about it.
                                • Brian Cirulnick
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 27, 2008
                                    wrote:

                                    > >> Piss off Evan, really. Don't write to me in CAPS with orders.
                                    Got
                                    > it?
                                    >
                                    > Several respected senior MARCHins wrote to me and said you, along
                                    with Stan,
                                    > were/are really getting on their nerves.
                                    ---------------------

                                    Is it just me or does it seem that an awful lot of nerds here have
                                    really thin skins? Maybe we all need to put a smiley emoticon to the
                                    end of every sentence???

                                    I thought after years of being beaten up by the jocks, we'd all have
                                    developed the ability to shrug off a nasty-gram or two.

                                    Sheesh people, get a life. Or become adults.

                                    And the fact that *I* even have to say this, is really telling.

                                    ttyl :-)
                                    Brian C.
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 27, 2008
                                      I will re-iterate.

                                      Do not post any non-vintage computing-related messages to the entire
                                      group. If you have issue with a person's tone or become offended by
                                      something, send the person a direct message or contact Evan, myself, or
                                      another moderator privately. Please avoid replies to non-topical posts,
                                      if you must reply to a non-topic post send the person a direct message.
                                      Yes, the board and long-time members of this group have earned some
                                      extra latitude.

                                      Do not reply to this message, thank you.