Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Kelly -- re: your TRS display

  • evan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
      If you're looking to save time (and not confuse attendees), you might consider
      foregoing the IBM, and just making an all-Tandy display.

      I went on eBay this week and bought a Model 100 instruction manual; didn't have
      one.

      Also, I planned to use my TRS-80 Pocket Computer 1 in the handhelds display,
      but instead I'll add that one to your table. (I can bring a Panasonic "Hand
      Held Computer" to represent the same era for my handhelds display.)

      Soon, the TCF guy will send me a floorplan of our space, then we can start
      really organizing an intelligent layout. It's great that we have so many
      different 'theme' tables in progress -- Apple (all the way from my Apple 1
      replica to the // models to the Lisa, Mac, and Newton); this Tandy display
      coming together; a Spacewar display (hopefully showing the same game running on
      a PDP-8, 2600, and a modern emulator); Bill's 'Woodies' display; etc. (if the
      PDP-8 approach doesn't work out, then I'll place my 2600 with the other Atari
      computers.)

      --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I forget if we discussed this, but I can bring a Model 100.
      >
      > Yep. We discussed it. I also have a 102 I can bring along. That would
      > make it:
      >
      > Model 16B with 50 Meg internal hard drive
      > Model 4P with 40Meg external hard drive (and right now, external
      > floppies).
      > Model 200
      > Model 102
      >
      > and
      >
      > The PC 5155 (the IBM "sewing machine" luggable).
      >
      > Anybody interested in a Tandy Model 1000sx (just a fancy XT), or how
      > about a Model II (precursor to the 16/6000)? If I have time, I can
      > probably get these working too.
      >
      > I have a Model 600 portable also, but it has been UPSed to death. Its
      > case is in about 500 little pieces, and I don't have time to re-build
      > it.
      >
      > Kelly

      =====
      Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

      *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
      - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
      - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
      - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > If you're looking to save time (and not confuse attendees), you
        > might consider foregoing the IBM, and just making an all-Tandy
        > display.

        I was hoping to use the IBM as a terminal to the Tandy. I can't run
        Scripsit on it, but I can do just about everything else. However,
        since I may only be coming for the first day (I'm still working out
        the timing) then I will probably leave it (the convertable) behind
        and use the Model 4 or the 200 as the terminal.

        I can't wait to meet the others. I have a bunch of stuff to swap, and
        hope to make some contacts there for passing on my "spares" at a
        later date. I'm not bringing a buch of swapping stuff due to the
        concearns of the TCF hosts. I don't want anyone thinking I'm there
        doing business. I know how touchy people can get at events like this.

        As and update, for those who know the old Tandy Xenix machines, this
        is what I have running:

        Xenix 3.2
        Xenix Development System 3.1.1
        filePro Plus 1.0 - database
        Scripsit - word processor
        Multiplan - spread sheet (yes, it's Microsoft)
        Games from the install disk - adventure and others
        MBasic - Microsofts multiuser basic for Xenix

        I almost have the Unify database running. I don't have the install
        media for this so I'm trying to patch it together from old backups.
        It's a gas trying to tar off from 8" disks. I'm suprised most of them
        still work.

        For the model 4 I was thinking of Dancing Demon, Scripsit, some
        terminal program, and one of the Scott Adams adventures. Any other
        suggestions for the Model 4?

        I don't have any software running on the 200 or the 102. Any
        suggestions? Maybe use this as a rudimetary terminal to the Xenix
        machine?

        What about the 1000sx? Any interest in that, or should I just leave
        it behing.

        One more thing....
        Someone mentioned "lucite" information holders for a page about the
        display. Where can I get a couple for my display? I'd like one per
        machine if possible. What size are they?

        Kelly
      • evan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
          I think you can get those info holders at any office store, like Staples or
          whatever.

          =====

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
            Ah, this is what I'm thinking of:
            http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=542

            Any decent office supply store has them.

            =====