Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM XT, Compaq 386

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      I think I salvaged both copies of T2K DOS, plus PFS
      File and Report...its a start. Alot of the Rainbow and
      AT&T Unix PC stuff was bad, but Rainbow stuph is
      plentiful on the net. Im picking up the busted Xerox
      8/16 (8088/z80) and NEC APC tomorrow, both semi
      compatibles from pre cambrian times. I have a job on
      my hands with the APC, being it has 8 inch floppers.
      The dude says it has an external 5.25 inch drive
      though...phew. Got to get my 2Ks working soon. A null
      modem cable is the simplest way to go Bill.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <billdeg@...>
      wrote:
      > Is anyone working on any interesting new projects
      this month?

      > I have completed my IBM XT rebuilding project, and I
      have finally transferred
      > all of my files and programs from the 80's to the
      harddrive of the XT from
      > their far-flung locations and disk formats. I now
      more or less have rebuilt the
      > first work PC I ever had, a stock IBM XT with the
      original programs (Lotus
      > 1-2-3, etc.). Thanks to everyone who helped. I
      decided on DOS 3.3 rather than
      > 2.x but otherwise everything is original.
      >
      > I don't know about you, but I am finding that it's
      not the computers that are
      > the hardest to keep working, it's the disk drives.
      I have three PC's with
      > both 5 1/4 and 3.5 drives, but none of the 5 1/4
      drives work...I finally had to
      > stuff a full-height IBM /f:360 drive into a Compaq
      386 so that I could
      > transfer my files to 5 1/4 from 3.5 (which is how I
      had been storing my old files
      > since the late 80's). The XT has just the one 5 1/4
      drive.

      > I have spotted an original laplink cable on ebay,
      which would have made my

      http://mail.yahoo.com