Re: Remember the Heathkit PDP-11 ?

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 17, 2008
      wrote:

      > BTW, take note of my domain name ..... snarc.net ..... Although if
      you knew
      > and/or bother to Google YOUR computer history, then you'd see
      that "snarc"
      > (spelled with a 'k'; that was taken) is an old hacker term for "any
      kind of
      > unexplained or threatening event on a computer" which I felt would
      make a
      > good domain name.
      -----------------------------

      We used to fool newbie campers with the old "snark hunting" routine.
      We'd sharpen some sticks, and they'd ask us what we're doing and tell
      them we're going snark hunting.

      I forget where we picked it up from, but it's been around forever.

      I'm sure there are 12-yr olds still falling for that.

      However, regarding computer history: The hardest part of explaining
      things is why so much stuff on the internet is named weirdly,
      like "spam". Nobody "gets it" that the internet was really created by
      college students, so things take on names from "Monty Python"
      and "The Muppet Show".

      ttyl
      Brian C.