IBM XT, Compaq 386

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      Is anyone working on any interesting new projects this month?

      I have completed my IBM XT rebuilding project, and I have finally transferred
      all of my files and programs from the 80's to the harddrive of the XT from
      their far-flung locations and disk formats. I now more or less have rebuilt the
      first work PC I ever had, a stock IBM XT with the original programs (Lotus
      1-2-3, etc.). Thanks to everyone who helped. I decided on DOS 3.3 rather than
      2.x but otherwise everything is original.

      I don't know about you, but I am finding that it's not the computers that are
      the hardest to keep working, it's the disk drives. I have three PC's with
      both 5 1/4 and 3.5 drives, but none of the 5 1/4 drives work...I finally had to
      stuff a full-height IBM /f:360 drive into a Compaq 386 so that I could
      transfer my files to 5 1/4 from 3.5 (which is how I had been storing my old files
      since the late 80's). The XT has just the one 5 1/4 drive.

      I have spotted an original laplink cable on ebay, which would have made my
      life a lot easier, but ...
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
        I think I salvaged both copies of T2K DOS, plus PFS
        File and Report...its a start. Alot of the Rainbow and
        AT&T Unix PC stuff was bad, but Rainbow stuph is
        plentiful on the net. Im picking up the busted Xerox
        8/16 (8088/z80) and NEC APC tomorrow, both semi
        compatibles from pre cambrian times. I have a job on
        my hands with the APC, being it has 8 inch floppers.
        The dude says it has an external 5.25 inch drive
        though...phew. Got to get my 2Ks working soon. A null
        modem cable is the simplest way to go Bill.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <billdeg@...>

        http://mail.yahoo.com