Re: Micropolis'

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2008
      B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > Dan/Herb/Kelly and anyone who cares about our original Micropolis drive
      > controller topic,
      >
      > I just bought two supposedly working Micropolis 1041 drives on Ebay for
      > $9.99 (just the internal drive) and $15.99 (complete drive)! What a
      > bargain.

      > The one difference is that he has a Vector Graphics drive controller
      > card (it came with his drives) and I have the Micropolis drive
      > controller card. The cards look very similar...

      Over the years, I've made a point of keeping "track" of floppy drive
      technology.

      For those not in-the-know, these may be 100TPI (tracks per inch)
      5.25-inch drives. In the old OLD days, before 96TPI was a standard,
      there were these kind of drives. Unreadable except by another 100TPI
      drive. Commodore used these at one point, as did a few other early
      S-100 companies.

      Vector Graphic used a Micropolis brand S-100 controller, then I
      believe they used their own. Bill, I have some of these controllers
      and docs, might even have some drives. Contact me, I'll work with you
      (Bill) to provide some technology while you put in some time. It would
      be good to have someone local who can work with 100TPI technology, or
      to test out mine.

      Herb Johnson
      seeking and driving since the 70's
      retrotechnology.com