Re: I may be onto a Mac Performa 631CD

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
      Scott,

      Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
      it. Normally they are
      given to me for free.

      -Jim
      www.macmothership.com

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
      wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
      > monitor,
      > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with
      40
      > MB memory.
      >
      > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
      >
      > Scott Austin

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
        The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was introduced in June
        1994. The 630 was a
        hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It had an internal
        IDE hard drive (the
        630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an optional CD-ROM
        drive. It sold for
        $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the Performa 630,
        630CD, 631CD,
        635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of which was bundled
        with
        different software, accessories, monitors, and hard drives (some
        Performas had a
        68LC040, and several were also available with several x86-based DOS
        cards). The Quadra
        630 was discontinued in August 1995.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
        <macmothership@y...>
        wrote:
        > Scott,
        >
        > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
        > it. Normally they are
        > given to me for free.
        >
        > -Jim
        > www.macmothership.com
        >
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > All,
        > >
        > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
        > > monitor,
        > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1
        with
        > 40
        > > MB memory.
        > >
        > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
        > >
        > > Scott Austin

        > > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
          in my opinion, vintage macs consist of the IIs and
          earlier machines. Some would even balk at stuff that
          late, but I would include the II, IIX, and IIFX in
          that they represent Apples foray into color. Possibly
          there were add on cards for the SE with which you
          could drive a big juicy external color monitor (and
          have the mono mini me mac alongside). But then again
          the SE may have been released at the same time as the
          II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
          what HMMU stands for :D
          <macmothership@...> wrote:
          > The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was
          introduced in June
          > 1994. The 630 was a
          > hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It
          had an internal
          > IDE hard drive (the
          > 630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an
          optional CD-ROM
          > drive. It sold for
          > $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the
          Performa 630,
          > 630CD, 631CD,
          > 635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of
          which was bundled
          > with
          > different software, accessories, monitors, and hard
          drives (some
          > Performas had a
          > 68LC040, and several were also available with
          several x86-based DOS
          > cards). The Quadra
          > 630 was discontinued in August 1995.
          >
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com,
          "macmothership"
          > <macmothership@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Scott,
          > >
          > > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than
          maybe $25.00 for
          > > it. Normally they are
          > > given to me for free.
          > >
          > > -Jim
          > > www.macmothership.com
          > >
          > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott
          Austin <us21090@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > All,
          > > >
          > > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He
          claims all cables,
          > > > monitor,
          > > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well,
          using Mac OS 8.1
          > with
          > > 40
          > > > MB memory.
          > > >
          > > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare
          find"?

          > > > Scott Austin

          protection around
          > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
            On Jul 30, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Chris M wrote:
            <snip>

            > II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
            > what HMMU stands for :D
            > --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

            Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )

            Put the buck into the treasury.

            73 de Ray
          • chrism3667
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 2:15 AM
              > Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )
              >

              > Put the buck into the treasury.
              >

              > 73 de Ray

              Nope. Hochsprung Memory Management Unit. Shame on y'all :D