Re: [midatlanticretro] I may be onto a Mac Performa 631CD

  • raysills@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
      HI Scott:

      That Mac would not be really "rare" like a LISA or even Apple I... but it's certainly not common. I was one of the first Macs to come with a CD drive on board, and was intended to be a nice "home" computer for family use. Quite a few educational applications were starting to be published on CDs (encyclopedias, reference works, etc) when the Performa 631 was first sold.

      My late father-in-law bought one, and his wife still uses it, primarily to play solitaire and look up possible crossword puzzle answers in the dictionary app she has on board.

      But... if you're getting it for cheap or free, it might be fun for you to play with and get a peek at a Mac.

      73 de Ray

      > All,
      >
      > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
      > monitor,
      > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with 40
      > MB memory.
      >
      > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
      >
      > Scott Austin

    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
        Scott,

        Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
        it. Normally they are
        given to me for free.

        -Jim
        www.macmothership.com

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
        wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
        > monitor,
        > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with
        40
        > MB memory.
        >
        > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
        >
        > Scott Austin

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
          The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was introduced in June
          1994. The 630 was a
          hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It had an internal
          IDE hard drive (the
          630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an optional CD-ROM
          drive. It sold for
          $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the Performa 630,
          630CD, 631CD,
          635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of which was bundled
          with
          different software, accessories, monitors, and hard drives (some
          Performas had a
          68LC040, and several were also available with several x86-based DOS
          cards). The Quadra
          630 was discontinued in August 1995.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
          <macmothership@y...>
          wrote:
          > Scott,
          >
          > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
          > it. Normally they are
          > given to me for free.
          >
          > -Jim
          > www.macmothership.com
          >
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > All,
          > >
          > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
          > > monitor,
          > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1
          with
          > 40
          > > MB memory.
          > >
          > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
          > >
          > > Scott Austin

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
            in my opinion, vintage macs consist of the IIs and
            earlier machines. Some would even balk at stuff that
            late, but I would include the II, IIX, and IIFX in
            that they represent Apples foray into color. Possibly
            there were add on cards for the SE with which you
            could drive a big juicy external color monitor (and
            have the mono mini me mac alongside). But then again
            the SE may have been released at the same time as the
            II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
            what HMMU stands for :D
            <macmothership@...> wrote:
            > The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was
            introduced in June
            > 1994. The 630 was a
            > hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It
            had an internal
            > IDE hard drive (the
            > 630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an
            optional CD-ROM
            > drive. It sold for
            > $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the
            Performa 630,
            > 630CD, 631CD,
            > 635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of
            which was bundled
            > with
            > different software, accessories, monitors, and hard
            drives (some
            > Performas had a
            > 68LC040, and several were also available with
            several x86-based DOS
            > cards). The Quadra
            > 630 was discontinued in August 1995.
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com,
            "macmothership"
            > <macmothership@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Scott,
            > >
            > > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than
            maybe $25.00 for
            > > it. Normally they are
            > > given to me for free.
            > >
            > > -Jim
            > > www.macmothership.com
            > >
            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott
            Austin <us21090@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > All,
            > > >
            > > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He
            claims all cables,
            > > > monitor,
            > > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well,
            using Mac OS 8.1
            > with
            > > 40
            > > > MB memory.
            > > >
            > > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare
            find"?

            > > > Scott Austin

            protection around
            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
              On Jul 30, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Chris M wrote:
              <snip>

              > II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
              > what HMMU stands for :D
              > --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )

              Put the buck into the treasury.

              73 de Ray
            • chrism3667
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2005
                > Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )
                >

                > Put the buck into the treasury.
                >

                > 73 de Ray

                Nope. Hochsprung Memory Management Unit. Shame on y'all :D