I may be onto a Mac Performa 631CD

  • Scott Austin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
      All,

      I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
      monitor,
      keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with 40
      MB memory.

      I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?

      Scott Austin

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • raysills@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
        HI Scott:

        That Mac would not be really "rare" like a LISA or even Apple I... but it's certainly not common. I was one of the first Macs to come with a CD drive on board, and was intended to be a nice "home" computer for family use. Quite a few educational applications were starting to be published on CDs (encyclopedias, reference works, etc) when the Performa 631 was first sold.

        My late father-in-law bought one, and his wife still uses it, primarily to play solitaire and look up possible crossword puzzle answers in the dictionary app she has on board.

        But... if you're getting it for cheap or free, it might be fun for you to play with and get a peek at a Mac.

        73 de Ray

        > All,
        >
        > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
        > monitor,
        > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with 40
        > MB memory.
        >
        > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
        >
        > Scott Austin

      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
          Scott,

          Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
          it. Normally they are
          given to me for free.

          -Jim
          www.macmothership.com

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
          wrote:
          > All,
          >
          > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
          > monitor,
          > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1 with
          40
          > MB memory.
          >
          > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
          >
          > Scott Austin

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
            The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was introduced in June
            1994. The 630 was a
            hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It had an internal
            IDE hard drive (the
            630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an optional CD-ROM
            drive. It sold for
            $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the Performa 630,
            630CD, 631CD,
            635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of which was bundled
            with
            different software, accessories, monitors, and hard drives (some
            Performas had a
            68LC040, and several were also available with several x86-based DOS
            cards). The Quadra
            630 was discontinued in August 1995.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
            <macmothership@y...>
            wrote:
            > Scott,
            >
            > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than maybe $25.00 for
            > it. Normally they are
            > given to me for free.
            >
            > -Jim
            > www.macmothership.com
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott Austin <us21090@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > All,
            > >
            > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He claims all cables,
            > > monitor,
            > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well, using Mac OS 8.1
            with
            > 40
            > > MB memory.
            > >
            > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare find"?
            > >
            > > Scott Austin

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
              in my opinion, vintage macs consist of the IIs and
              earlier machines. Some would even balk at stuff that
              late, but I would include the II, IIX, and IIFX in
              that they represent Apples foray into color. Possibly
              there were add on cards for the SE with which you
              could drive a big juicy external color monitor (and
              have the mono mini me mac alongside). But then again
              the SE may have been released at the same time as the
              II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
              what HMMU stands for :D
              <macmothership@...> wrote:
              > The last of the Quadra line, the Quadra 630 was
              introduced in June
              > 1994. The 630 was a
              > hybrid of a Quadra and an LC in a sleek new case. It
              had an internal
              > IDE hard drive (the
              > 630 was the first Mac to use the IDE bus), and an
              optional CD-ROM
              > drive. It sold for
              > $1,200, and was also released as the LC 630, and the
              Performa 630,
              > 630CD, 631CD,
              > 635CD, 636, 636CD, 637CD, 638CD, and 640CD, each of
              which was bundled
              > with
              > different software, accessories, monitors, and hard
              drives (some
              > Performas had a
              > 68LC040, and several were also available with
              several x86-based DOS
              > cards). The Quadra
              > 630 was discontinued in August 1995.
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com,
              "macmothership"
              > <macmothership@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Scott,
              > >
              > > Free is a good price! 8) I wouldn't pay more than
              maybe $25.00 for
              > > it. Normally they are
              > > given to me for free.
              > >
              > > -Jim
              > > www.macmothership.com
              > >
              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Scott
              Austin <us21090@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > All,
              > > >
              > > > I've come across an old Mac Performa 631CD. He
              claims all cables,
              > > > monitor,
              > > > keyboard, mouse are there and work just well,
              using Mac OS 8.1
              > with
              > > 40
              > > > MB memory.
              > > >
              > > > I don't collect Mac's, but is this a "rare
              find"?

              > > > Scott Austin

              protection around
              > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2005
                On Jul 30, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Chris M wrote:
                <snip>

                > II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell me
                > what HMMU stands for :D
                > --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )

                Put the buck into the treasury.

                73 de Ray
              • chrism3667
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6 2:15 AM
                  > Hardware Memory Management Unit. : )
                  >

                  > Put the buck into the treasury.
                  >

                  > 73 de Ray

                  Nope. Hochsprung Memory Management Unit. Shame on y'all :D