More details about Aug. 13

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2005
      Just talked to Fred again, he says the gates will open to the public at 10,
      the ceremony begins at 11, and we should be done by 2 or 3 or whenever the
      public's finished milling around.

      He'll be there at 6 or 7 in the morning, so we can start setting up as early
      as necessary. I'll try to get there by 8 or 9, mainly to call "dibs" for
      whichever available room has the best electrical power.

      A reminder: anyone who's coming should bring an electric fan!! If we each
      bring one, and point them straight at our computers (and our bodies), then
      it should be a tolerable day. (Remember, the spot where we'll be is
      different from the spot where our museum will be, although everyone will be
      welcome to see that latter location that day.)

      There will be tours of the campus all day long.

      Also, even if you can't bring any vintage computers on the 13th, you can
      still bring yourself. :) The more people from MARCH who are there to
      explain ourselves to the public, the more successful we will be.

      Upon arriving that morning, just call my cell phone, 646-546-9999. (No one
      believes me, but it's a real number!)

      In theory, InfoAge's staff will set up many signs to direct people.

      - 770 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • ahm
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2005
        On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:58:16PM -0400, Evan wrote:
        > A reminder: anyone who's coming should bring an electric fan!!
        > If we each bring one, and point them straight at our computers
        > (and our bodies), then it should be a tolerable day.

        I guess I missed the details about where we're supposed to set up...
        Is we outside? Or inside with no air-conditioning?
        In either case and given a temperature similar to that of this week,
        "tolerable" is not the adjective that comes to mind.

        Andy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27, 2005
          Andy,

          We are inside with no A/C. Tables will be available when we set up and chairs
          will be available after the ceremony and speeches. Follow Evan's advice and
          bring a fan - the bigger the better!

          Jim

          --- ahm <ahm@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:58:16PM -0400, Evan wrote:
          > > A reminder: anyone who's coming should bring an electric fan!!
          > > If we each bring one, and point them straight at our computers
          > > (and our bodies), then it should be a tolerable day.
          >
          > I guess I missed the details about where we're supposed to set up...
          > Is we outside? Or inside with no air-conditioning?
          > In either case and given a temperature similar to that of this week,
          > "tolerable" is not the adjective that comes to mind.
          >
          > Andy

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 27, 2005
            It's indoors, there is no A/C ... I don't know if there are windows ... that is why we should all bring as many fans as possible!

            The current heat wave is supposed to be gone soon.