Re: [midatlanticretro] 12/6 - Any interest in Commodore Repairs? / History Class stuff

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008

      Last night I got my Tandy Model 12 running, and I used it to test Model
      II disks because that system still does not work.  I have pretty much
      decided that the problem with my Mod II system is the drive itself not
      the controller.  The only 8" drives I have are not compatible with the
      older Model II drive power connectors.   I prefer to find the correct
      drive rather than kludge something.

      Drives for the model II are a little problematic. I usually leave the real one in place, but cable up an external one for day to day use. That's why I have a problem creating a boot disk for that impatient gent in England. I have none running with an 8" drive. I have several that run off hard drive or off 5.25" drives.

      Kelly

      If I have an expansion drive, I can use that?  I did not think to try.
      Bill
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
        --- On Sun, 10/12/08, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > >> Last night I got my Tandy Model 12 running, and I
        > used it to test Model
        > >> II disks because that system still does not work.
        > I have pretty much
        > >> decided that the problem with my Mod II system is
        > the drive itself not
        > >> the controller. The only 8" drives I have
        > are not compatible with the
        > >> older Model II drive power connectors. I prefer
        > to find the correct
        > >> drive rather than kludge something.
        > >
        > > Drives for the model II are a little problematic. I
        > usually leave the real one in place, but cable up an
        > external one for day to day use. That's why I have a
        > problem creating a boot disk for that impatient gent in
        > England. I have none running with an 8" drive. I have
        > several that run off hard drive or off 5.25" drives.
        > >
        > If I have an expansion drive, I can use that? I did not
        > think to try.

        What does the drive do? Is it just not reading the disk? Is it squeaking? Those drives are pretty simple. I'm going to be working on mine tonight. The mechanism isn't hard to repair, it probably just needs a good disassembly and cleaning. Clean the heads, and clean rails and the lead screw with alcohol, and relubricate the lead screw with a tiny amount of silicon lubricant. Also, clean the clamping hub, and ensure that the upper hub turns freely and isn't dragging.

        I'll see what I find in my Model II tonight.

        -Ian
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
          Ian,
          > What does the drive do? Is it just not reading the disk? Is it squeaking? Those drives are pretty simple. I'm going to be working on mine tonight. The mechanism isn't hard to repair, it probably just needs a good disassembly and cleaning. Clean the heads, and clean rails and the lead screw with alcohol, and relubricate the lead screw with a tiny amount of silicon lubricant. Also, clean the clamping hub, and ensure that the upper hub turns freely and isn't dragging.
          >
          > I'll see what I find in my Model II tonight.

          The light comes on, the drive spins, the head lowers in place, but the
          stepper motor does not attempt to position itself to read/check the
          disk. If I advance the drive manually it'll also return to the 0 track
          (or the track on the other end not sure) and then stop.

          I have confirmed that the disks are ok by using a Model 12 (I have no
          other model II) to read the model II disks. Some are Model II/12/16
          z-80 so they work on all systems.

          I have not yet attempted to bypass the default internal drive for the
          expansion drive. Is there a hot key that tells the computer to boot
          from the expansion drive, or do I have to move the cables around?

          Bill
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008

            Mr Ian Primus wrote:
            What does the drive do? Is it just not reading the disk? Is it squeaking? Those drives are pretty simple. I'm going to be working on mine tonight. The mechanism isn't hard to repair, it probably just needs a good disassembly and cleaning. Clean the heads, and clean rails and the lead screw with alcohol, and relubricate the lead screw with a tiny amount of silicon lubricant. Also, clean the clamping hub, and ensure that the upper hub turns freely and isn't dragging.

            I'll see what I find in my Model II tonight.

            What I've been looking for lately is some alignment disks to continue with rebuilding my old drives.  It's always good to check the azimuth and radial alignments on old equipment, it helps to reduce data errors.

            Did you have any ?

            =Dan

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2008
              On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Dan Roganti wrote:

              > What I've been looking for lately is some alignment disks to continue
              > with rebuilding my old drives. It's always good to check the azimuth and
              > radial alignments on old equipment, it helps to reduce data errors.
              >
              > Did you have any ?

              They're on Ebay all the time, if you want to go that route:

              #290267393833

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...