of strange contraptions and thingamabobs

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
      I worked as a tech years ago at this company in Long
      Island. There was this client/dude from Nebraska who
      told me of some "thing" he brought home from work, cuz
      they didn't want it there anymore. They made him
      promise not to bring it back too. It was in essence an
      IBM puter that had facilities for plugging in
      cartridges (w/onboard eproms I reckon), for what I
      don't know, for the purpose of programming. That's all
      I know. And I don't mean BIG BLUE necessarily, a
      compatible probably. Any clues? Peeps really need to
      watch ebay, you never know when the weirder stuff will
      turn up, or even how it would be listed. I wish I was
      paying more attention to this stuff say 5 years ago
      :(. You could find all the really weird junk probably
      every other week.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • relayer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
        Sounds like the IBM PC-Jr. It had cartridge slots on it. Basic was
        available on a cartridge, kind of like the Atari 400. They were built
        to compete with the home computer market. It even had the same audio
        chip as the TI-99 and Tandy 1000.

        A lot of businesses who bought into those things probably would have
        paid someone to take them away within the first year of usage.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
          nah, wadn't no Peanut. It was a special
          contraption/thingamabob. You can't burn eproms wit a
          jr anyhoo. Eeproms yes.

          http://mail.yahoo.com