5150s

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
      OK, I have 3. All of them have the silver power supply, not the black one.

      In preparation for 12/6, I'm deciding which to keep.
      I have one with 640k, 21meg HD, CGA and CGA monitor.

      I have one with 640k, a hard drive, mono adapter.

      The other has 640k and I don't know what else.

      So, which should I keep? What are the "desirable" parameters for the 5150s?

      Does anyone want the other 2 units? They're too big to schlepp down to InfoAge if no one wants them. I'll bring matching monitors if I have them.

      Also, does anyone want/need a working generic 486 with a 120 meg HD and 4 MB RAM?

      Thanks,
      Kelly
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
        --- On Sat, 10/11/08, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

        > In preparation for 12/6, I'm deciding which to keep.

        <snip>

        They're too big to
        > schlepp down to InfoAge if no one wants them. I'll bring
        > matching monitors if I have them.

        What's on 12/6 at InfoAge? I don't see anything on the website.

        -Ian
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
          Kelly,

          To my mind, they are all equal. The deciding factor would be the expansion boards. Early expansion boards have a 1" wide bracket to match the wider spacing of the 5150 versus the XT. Expasion slot spacing has not changed since the XT set the standard so wide brackets would be much rarer. An early mono adapter with a 1" bracket would make the choice easy. Same for early memory expansion, but I've never seen a memory expansion card with wide brackets that held 384K RAM so it's hard to have 640K in a machine with all early expasion cards.

          Jim

          OK, I have 3. All of them have the silver power supply, not the black one.

          In preparation for 12/6, I'm deciding which to keep.
          I have one with 640k, 21meg HD, CGA and CGA monitor.

          I have one with 640k, a hard drive, mono adapter.

          The other has 640k and I don't know what else.

          So, which should I keep? What are the "desirable" parameters for the 5150s?

          Does anyone want the other 2 units? They're too big to schlepp down to InfoAge if no one wants them. I'll bring matching monitors if I have them.

          Also, does anyone want/need a working generic 486 with a 120 meg HD and 4 MB RAM?

          Thanks,
          Kelly

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
            >>> What's on 12/6 at InfoAge?

            MARCH end-of-year party / club swap meet / tech day / etc.
          • Mr Ian Primus
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
              --- On Sat, 10/11/08, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

              > MARCH end-of-year party / club swap meet / tech day / etc.

              Ooh. Sounds like fun. Can I come too?

              -Ian
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008

                >> Ooh. Sounds like fun. Can I come too?

                Open to all
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                  > OK, I have 3. All of them have the silver power supply, not the black one.
                  >
                  > In preparation for 12/6, I'm deciding which to keep.
                  > I have one with 640k, 21meg HD, CGA and CGA monitor.
                  >
                  > I have one with 640k, a hard drive, mono adapter.
                  >
                  > The other has 640k and I don't know what else.
                  >
                  > So, which should I keep? What are the "desirable" parameters for the 5150s?

                  I do not need any myself. Thanks again however for your generous
                  offers. There has to be someone in this group who needs a 5150, they're
                  hard to come by and shipping cost is a factor.

                  As you stated the Rev A 5150's are the most collectible and they have
                  the black power supply and 16K-64K printed on the motherboard. The rest
                  are still valued, but condition is the issue. No rust or dust,
                  scratches, good keyboard, working 2.x DOS' etc make the system
                  collectible. A B rev box with off brand parts and no keyboard isn't
                  worth the price of shipping.

                  If it were me, I would pull all of the name brand cards, starting with
                  IBM, AST, and Hayes and put them into the nicest condition machine of
                  the bunch. I would make sure I have a good working copy of DOS 2.x and
                  the manuals. Lower serial numbers are not really that important,
                  assuming all three have a later BIOS version.

                  I would hold onto two systems in case I needed parts.

                  Bill
                • Mr Ian Primus
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008

                    > tech day / etc.
                    >
                    > >> Ooh. Sounds like fun. Can I come too?
                    >
                    > Open to all

                    Well, then count me in. I'll bring some of this extra hardware I have here, if anyone is interested. I should be able to dig up an extra beige Apple IIe or two, I have some ColecoVision Adam parts/printers that someone might need. I also have a fair amount of older Macintosh parts if anyone is looking for something.

                    IIRC, I still have a couple extra terminals I could part with (Wyse, etc), and definitely some older Sun SparcStations (Sparc 5).

                    I've also got a Data General DG/One portable with Evan's name on it...

                    And if someone needs a bootable disk for an Apple II, Macintosh, or TRS-80 Model III/4, I should be able to help.

                    I'll plan on bringing tools and parts, if someone needs help. I'm pretty good at fixing terminals, and Apple disk drives. (Or at least, I have been doing a lot of that lately, it seems).

                    I'm looking for a few things myself...
                    -Used/blank 8" floppies and 5 1/4" DSDD floppies
                    -Parts, software for the TRS-80 Model II I'm working on. I actually have the Model II, 12 and 16, but no software, and only one keyboard. If anyone has a dead machine for parts, or even software or system disks I could copy or borrow, that would be great. If I can, I'll bring a PC/clone with an 8" drive to archive disks. Also, I'd love to find a hard drive or drive controller. I'd love to be able to run Xenix on the 16, but running from floppies might not be possible.
                    -Apple II+ parts or broken machine. I have a II+, but it came to me with no keyboard.
                    -Another Platinum Apple IIe, dead or alive (or just the case, I have all the innerworkings, would like to have a spare one of these).
                    -System disk for a Xerox 820-II. I finally have the keyboard for this critter, but no system disk. I believe that the index track is single density, so I don't know if my PC can handle copying it. But, if I can borrow one, I'll try.

                    Also, in my unlikely to find category:
                    -An Atari 130XE. My first computer, but it no longer works. I haven't been able to find another one, and mine has a bad custom chip.
                    -A Commodore SX-64.
                    -Commodore Amiga 1000

                    -Ian
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 11, 2008
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:

                      >>> Ooh. Sounds like fun. Can I come too?
                      >
                      > Open to all

                      You're welcome to ride down with me, Ian.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Kelly Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                        > Also, in my unlikely to find category:
                        > -An Atari 130XE. My first computer, but it no longer works. I
                        > haven't been able to find another one, and mine has a bad custom chip.
                        > -A Commodore SX-64.
                        > -Commodore Amiga 1000
                        >
                        > -Ian

                        I have and sx64 you can have, but it needs work. It does not get as far as the basic line. It is complete otherwise, with keyboard and cable.

                        Kelly
                      • Mr Ian Primus
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                          > > -An Atari 130XE. My first computer, but it no longer
                          > works. I
                          > > haven't been able to find another one, and mine
                          > has a bad custom chip.
                          > > -A Commodore SX-64.
                          > > -Commodore Amiga 1000
                          > >
                          > > -Ian
                          > >
                          > I have and sx64 you can have, but it needs work. It does
                          > not get as far as the basic line. It is complete otherwise,
                          > with keyboard and cable.

                          Thanks! That's great! I would greatly appreciate it!

                          -Ian
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                            Ian
                            > Well, then count me in. I'll bring some of this extra hardware I have here, if anyone is interested.

                            Great! I do not believe we have met.

                            <snip>
                            > I'm looking for a few things myself...
                            > -Used/blank 8" floppies and 5 1/4" DSDD floppies
                            > -Parts, software for the TRS-80 Model II I'm working on. I actually have the Model II, 12 and 16, but no software, and only one keyboard. If anyone has a dead machine for parts, or even software or system disks I could copy or borrow, that would be great. If I can, I'll bring a PC/clone with an 8" drive to archive disks. Also, I'd love to find a hard drive or drive controller. I'd love to be able to run Xenix on the 16, but running from floppies might not be possible.
                            > <snip>
                            > -System disk for a Xerox 820-II. I finally have the keyboard for this critter, but no system disk. I believe that the index track is single density, so I don't know if my PC can handle copying it. But, if I can borrow one, I'll try.

                            I have software for both the Model II and the 820-II

                            Kelly is bringing me a Model II, if it works I can make copies of some
                            disks for you on the spot (or we can try to get it running).

                            I have not taken my 820-ii out for a spin in about a year, I should try
                            to test it before 12/6, and then I can copy some system disks for you in
                            the process. Assuming I have time, but I hope to do this anyway. I
                            have in the past made copies of bootable 820-II disks. My 820's hard
                            drive is functional as well, a real treat. Aside from the clunky
                            keyboard, I like these machines. I have been able to take software from
                            other CP/M systems and use it on the 820, but I forget what it was that
                            was compatible. I think it was the XOR-4 S-100 system.
                            > Also, in my unlikely to find category:
                            > -An Atari 130XE. My first computer, but it no longer works. I haven't been able to find another one, and mine has a bad custom chip.

                            Jeff Jonas just gave me one of these at vcf E this year! I was taking a
                            look at it last night, but I have a few other projects to work on first
                            so it was just a cursory inventory of what was there. I had the
                            matching printer, drives, and a bunch of other things for the 130XE
                            already so now I have a pretty complete little system. I really like
                            Atari computers, they don't get enough credit sometimes.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                              >>> Great! I do not believe we have met.

                              Sure you did, Bill. Ian always comes to VCF East with Sridhar.
                            • Mr Ian Primus
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                                --- On Sun, 10/12/08, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                > Sure you did, Bill. Ian always comes to VCF East with
                                > Sridhar.

                                Yeah, I'm the weird guy with the long hair. (Hopefully, that narrows it down a bit...)

                                -Ian
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 12, 2008
                                  OK yes.