Vintage (computer) chips

  • john_apw
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
      I've got an opportunity to search an old electronics storage space
      for vintage chips. The guy has already confirmed that he has two
      6810s, 6 Z80-SIO/0s, and 25 EPROMS of type 27256.

      Would anyone have an interest in any of these? If so, let me know
      OFFLINE what value they are, and how many you'd want me to get for
      you.

      ALSO, if there are chips of other types that you'd want me to keep a
      lookout for, send me OFFLINE their designation numbers. Again, what
      their value is and how many.

      Remember, I'm only a partial hardware chip guy, so I need as much
      descriptive info that would enable me to recognize something
      particular when I see it. If it had alternate names or designations,
      I won't know them unless you tell me...

      No guarantees; no one knows for sure what else is there.

      I have no idea how he wants to price things, so I don't want to find
      myself expressing an interest, and THEN having him set a value. If I
      know ahead of time, I'll have some ability to negotiate a fair deal.

      You need to get your info to me by Sunday afternoon, as I will not be
      online Sunday night, and I'm going to the site early Monday morning.

      I hope this can be of help to some of you!
      -John
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
        john_apw wrote:
        > I've got an opportunity to search an old electronics storage space
        > for vintage chips. The guy has already confirmed that he has two
        > 6810s, 6 Z80-SIO/0s, and 25 EPROMS of type 27256.
        >
        > Would anyone have an interest in any of these? If so, let me know
        > OFFLINE what value they are, and how many you'd want me to get for
        > you.
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > I hope this can be of help to some of you!
        > -John

        Thanks for the offer John.

        bd
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
          Question..

          I know we are keeping an eye out for Display Cases, what else should we keep an eye out for for the museum?

          We should make a list of things the museum needs that are not really computer related. I mean we all know that if we see a nice computer to post it, but we should think about other things the museum needs like maybe:

          Poster Frames
          AC unit for the second room
          Paint
          Carpeting
          Security devices (something to secure the computers)

          If we see people giving these things away, we should see if we can get them and use them in the museum..

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
            I think the whole building will get HVAC by next summer.

            Infoage supplies all the paint and carpeting.

            We're only responsible for the contents of the rooms.

            I know we are keeping an eye out for Display Cases, what else should we keep an eye out for for the museum?

            We should make a list of things the museum needs that are not really computer related. I mean we all know that if we see a nice computer to post it, but we should think about other things the museum needs like maybe:

            Poster Frames
            AC unit for the second room
            Paint
            Carpeting
            Security devices (something to secure the computers)

            If we see people giving these things away, we should see if we can get them and use them in the museum..

            [midatlanticretro] Stuff to look out for for the museumChristian Liendo <chr
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
              Ok..

              But we still should be looking for things that help us display items

              Cases
              Poster Frames

              What else

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                >>> But we still should be looking for things that help us display items ... Cases Poster Frames What else

                We could use a few of those extra-long industrial power strips ... several feet long, lots of outlets ... we can also use a few UPS devices.

                I can't think of much else right now.

                It would be more helpful for people to donate money, so when we need something unanticipated, we could just get it.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                  On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > It would be more helpful for people to donate money, so when we need
                  > something unanticipated, we could just get it.

                  Speaking of money...

                  How does the financial report from VCF East look?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                    Profitable. I will defer to Jim for the details.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Well this is a start.

                      I'm also thinking if anyone is discarding containers we can put cables and stuff in the basement.

                      Anything that MARCH doesnt need to buy.

                      >>> But we still should be looking for things that help us display items ... Cases Poster Frames What else

                      We could use a few of those extra-long industrial power strips ... several feet long, lots of outlets ... we can also use a few UPS devices.

                      I can't think of much else right now.

                      It would be more helpful for people to donate money, so when we need something unanticipated, we could just get it.

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                        folding tables?

                        --
                        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                          > folding tables?

                          Not right now. We're good with tables. Plus, we really like a specific
                          kind. I prefer to buy or steal the good ones. :)
                        • John Allain
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                            How about bookcases for a library?
                            Library seemed to be a hot topic ~6 months ago...

                            John A.
                          • Christian Liendo
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                              I thought about that, I just didnt know where to put them..

                              Maybe we can put them downstairs.

                              Good idea, keep bringing good ideas.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                                Message
                                Yup, bookcases are always good, I forgot to mention that.  We have a couple of unassembled bookcases (and one assembled bookcase) thanks to David G., but we can always use more.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                                  Evan,
                                    I don't know about your State, but here in S.C. the state runs a warehouse for surplus equipment.
                                  Once a state agency decides it no longer wants/needs a piece of equipment, it is shipped to the warehouse.
                                  For about 4 weeks, the warehouse allows other state agencies to transfer the equipment to them if they need it.
                                  After that time, the equipment is offered to the public at about 1/10th to 1/40th the original cost of the equipment.
                                  After a number of weeks if the equipment is not sold, they discount it.  First 50%, then later 75%, then "make us an offer".
                                     Most of the warehouse is furniture, but I have picked up some nice old computer equipment, and new electronic equipment there for pennies on the dollar, may be pennies on the hundred dollars.
                                     Perhaps some of the equipment could be obtained through your state warehouses as donations?  Couldn't hurt to ask.  I know our state warehouse was selling some equipment last year, and donating the funds to "Toys for Tots".
                                     Sorry for the long winded two cents worth, but I hope it helps.

                                                                                 Stan

                                  S.C. State Warehouse:
                                  http://www.gs.sc.gov/surplus/SP-index.phtm

                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  >>> But we still should be looking for things that help us display items ... Cases Poster Frames What else

                                  We could use a few of those extra-long industrial power strips ... several feet long, lots of outlets ... we can also use a few UPS devices.

                                  I can't think of much else right now.

                                  It would be more helpful for people to donate money, so when we need something unanticipated, we could just get it.

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008

                                    Stan Brewer wrote:
                                    Evan,
                                      I don't know about your State, but here in S.C. the state runs a warehouse for surplus equipment.
                                    Once a state agency decides it no longer wants/needs a piece of equipment, it is shipped to the warehouse.

                                    S.C. State Warehouse:
                                    http://www.gs.sc.gov/surplus/SP-index.phtm

                                    I use this too for PA.
                                    Here's the website which has the links for every state, NJ is in there.
                                    http://www.usa.gov/shopping/auctions/surplus.shtml

                                    =Dan

                                  • Christian Liendo
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                                      New York Uses E-Bay, except for vehicles

                                      http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/nyssurplus-albany.

                                    • Stan Brewer
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 10, 2008
                                        Did they take a bid from E-bay?  I don't think the federal or state governments should be getting in bed with E-Bay.

                                                                                   Stan