Re: [midatlanticretro] Solid State Disk

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
      Brian,

      A 50-pin (narrow) SCSI SSD of any size will be a very rare bird. When narrow SCSI was the state of the art, a 2G drive was "pretty big" even for rotating media and RAM was... well, remember the RAM shortages in the 90's? Early SSDs were more likely in the 500M range or smaller, but using one for your swap partition could perk up your Sparc even if the SSD were "only" 100M. I do recall ads for SSDs that were RAM-based with battery backup to keep the data alive when the power failed. They were full height bricks of RAM chips made in very low volume because of the cost and so were sold only where very high performance was needed. As SCSI speeds improved with wide SCSI (68- and 80-pin) and RAID became popular, RAM-based drives fell off the radar. It would be very cool if you were to find one.

      The interesting thing is that SSDs are now making a "come back" in the form of flash drives in both laptops and servers. I just bought an ASUS EeePC-1000 with a 40G SSD (plus 10" screen and Atom processor). I've had it less than a week but so far battery life is great although performance is less than fabulous. I followed Vince Briel's example and blew off the Linux installation, replacing it with XP. I then upgraded to 2G RAM and run without a swap file (great idea Vince!) to save the flash.

      Jim