9914Re: [midatlanticretro] Card Sorter

  • Dan Roganti
    Sep 26, 2008

      Mike Loewen wrote:
      On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Dan Roganti wrote:

      Mike Loewen wrote:

       How about the dishwasher-sized removable pack disk drives?  Back in
      the '80s, I was working on HP 7920 (50MB), 7925 (120MB) and 7935
      (404MB). You can see some of the disk packs, here:

      I used to make the drive cabinets dance on the floor with extra code
      while I was writing diagnostics then.
      A nice example of inertia -- large mass and momentum in synergy  :)

          The HP 7935 had a microprocessor on board with built-in diagnostics.
      With the random head-seek test, you had better have the feet screwed down
      or it WOULD walk around.  Some people seem to think this is an urban
      legend, but it's not.

      We had the CDC 9766 drives , 300MB with 14" platters(12each)
      We we made our own disk controller boards for our system at SEL.
      SEL bought several models beginning with their 40MB drive in the early 70's

      I saw one in the basement at InfoAge, I just couldn't remember which size it is.
      If I get my hands on one of the old disk controller boards,
      I could wire up a dancing drive demo and video tape it. :)

      =Dan