9289Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Interview with Andy Hertzfeld (The Mac 25yrs later)

  • Christian Liendo
    Sep 1, 2008
      Sorry I took so long to respond but ask Evan I have been busy.

      I don't deny the contributions of CP/M and Gary Kildall. I don't dismiss their historical significance. I don't have to tell you that CP/M was the "standard" and that other computers either ran CP/M or was CP/M capable. There is no disagreement on this.

      I just believe that when DOS came out, Gary should have done everything to make CP/M better.

      History is written by the winners. ~Alex Haley

      But I have had this argument before and I think at the time DOS was better, think the commands are easier to use than CP/M and I believed that helped. I used PIP as an example because it is rather blatant.

      This is again all personal opinion. I mean I know that PIP is used because PDPs used PIP. But to an end user who never used a PDP, COPY is just better.

      I lay the blame for this on Dr. Kildall. He was a genius, but from what I was told didn't listen to anyone.

      BTW: You have great pages discussing the history of Dr. Kildall and CP/M. The only thing I think you are missing is GemDOS for the Atari 68xxx computers.