9246Re: Interview with Andy Hertzfeld (The Mac 25yrs later)

  • Herb Johnson
    Aug 30, 2008
      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      > While I also agree you also have to remember that while CP/M "did
      the job" it really needed to progress. I mean DOS used COPY and CP/M
      uses PIP.

      > You can argue that such things were minor, but I guess thats for
      historians to argue about.

      > I have the same argument with Linux people. Linux people are so
      wrapped up in their open source religion they don't see why many
      people think Linux is to hard for them and they get Windows/Mac machines.

      > Also Dr. Kildall was his own worst enemy and DOS had IBM and which
      helped.

      These are cheap shots, sorry to say. Easier to say that, than to
      explain why. Anyone who cares to, can find information in respond to
      these "points". I have a few Web pages about Kildall, at

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/

      I think he did pretty well. Better than most of us who read this. As
      for IBM and MS-DOS, it's a long story, not part of this thread beyond
      my reference to Hertzfeld's reference. Linux's devotees is just an
      off-topic reference.

      I got tired of people ignoring, or dismissing, CP/M and Gary Kildall
      merely because Kildall did not become the world's richest man like
      Bill Gates. It's interesting to see that kind of misplaced envy, even
      in a primary developer of the Macintosh like Andy Hertzfeld. But the
      issue actually comes from under-informed journalists and publisists,
      like the one interviewing Hertzfeld.

      Long story short, that situation is why I spent a few years writing up
      CP/M on my Web site. The response from Christian, makes my case again.
      I did what did, not to promote a "religion" of CP/M, but to nail down
      its developmental history before all of its developers die, as did
      Kildall.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic