      From: Ian King <iking@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: Jeff Jonas <jeffj@...>
      Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:18:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: what network for the PC jr?

      What do you mean by "successful"?  I saw IBM PC Network used in two
      different business for which I worked in the late 80s and early 90s;
      both used it primarily for printer sharing.  These were primarily 8088
      and 286-based computers.  Admittedly, the overhead of the network
      limited what applications could be run successfully on the computers,
      especially in the small law office where I worked that was too cheap :-)
      to have a standalone computer for the print server. So the secretary who
      was stuck with the print server computer (always the one lowest on the
      totem pole) had a tough life....

      Given the limited demands on these environments, though, the IBM product
      did a credible job and allowed the sharing of what were very expensive
      laser printers among multiple workers.  -- Ian

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)