8844Re: Upcoming work days...

  • Herb Johnson
    Jul 27 9:45 AM

      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > They're all clearly marked in one place, next to the 11/20 itself.

      I don't mean to be mean about this. But the Greenough donation is a
      very complete (and valuable) collection of manuals, paper tapes, and a
      system. It would be easy to lose items or boxes if repacked or
      restacked with other DEC equipment. And there are only several small
      ones, all kept on or under one table which is necessary to hold up the
      60-pound PDP 11/20. "Don't mess" is a simpler way to say "they'll be
      fine as they are".

      The PDP-11 Web page has an inventory of boxes and contents, including
      photos. Look there to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
      That is one purpose of that Web page and that inventory.

      Jim, the only way I could identify them further, is to either make
      consistent physical lables for each box; or to box them up in generic
      storage boxes and lable those boxes.

      I don't like putting boxes in boxes, or hiding stuff in anonomous
      plain-white storage boxes which look like every other box.

      So my inclination is to use colored post-it notes labled
      "Greenough/NBS PDP-11/20". I could also put an inventory sheet in each
      box with that title. I can do both, when I visit InfoAge next time.
      Evan could do such labling now if he wishes, he is familiar with the
      collection.

      Beyond that, how MARCH manages its collections is not up to me.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic