      Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:56:25 -0000
      From: billdeg <billdeg@...>
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] MARCH Exhibit Rooms at InfoAge

      We were inspired by the Radio exhibit down the hall, but they
      presented a lot of good ideas for how we can construct our room exhibits.

      There are two rooms we can use for exhibits. The plan is to complete
      the work for these two rooms by September 13.

      Space is an issue. To make the best of the space we have we cleared a
      lot of junk to other rooms. We replaced ceiling tiles, painted, etc.

      We need to move all MARCH display cases and/or shelving into these
      rooms. Available shelf/case space will dictate exactly how many
      systems we can display.

      As far as systems go, we will use only the best computers from our
      collection, working if possible. Wall space will be used for posters,
      ads, and pictures of systems we don't have room to include.

      Room 1
      A relatively large rectangular room with large windows that let in a
      lot of light. There are also two doors to this room from the hallway.

      +------[ door ]-------------[ door ]--------+
      | {2} |
      | |
      | |
      |{1} |
      | |
      | |
      | {3}|
      | |
      +---[ wind ]--[ wind ]--[ wind ]--[ wind ]--+

      {1} Camp Evans Exhibit (Evan)
      {2} Local History (team)
      {3} 70's and 80's micros (team)

      Camp Evans Exhibit
      Evan will assemble the content for this exhibit. This will be a wall
      exhibit, with a few artifacts. I anticipate that this exhibit will
      mesh into the Local History exhibit. You might find references to the
      ENIAC, UNIVAC and the earliest computer history.

      Local History (later)
      This exhibit will focus on computer manufacturers from the MidAtlantic
      area. Of this classification, the most complete and presentable
      system in our collection is our AT&T 3B2 computer. It works, we have
      manuals, etc. We will also include a wall exhibit and if room other
      computers such as our Commodore Amiga 1000. Do we have a Franklin?
      We will need more materials for the walls.

      70's and 80's micros.
      Altair 8800 (looking for a working serial terminal)
      IBM PC 5150 (the "A" version, very rare) - Bill restoring
      SWTPc 6800 - Bob Grieb restoring
      Commodore PET 2001-8 - Bryan Pope restoring
      Osborne 1 - needs testing
      TRS 80 Model 1 - needs testing
      Commodore 64 - works
      Apple ][ Plus or ][ e - works

      Room 2
      A square room with large windows that let in a lot of light. There is
      one door to this room from the hallway.

      +------[ door ]---------+
      | |
      | |
      | |
      |{1} |
      | {2} |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      +---[ wind ]--[ wind ]--+

      {1} DEC / Mini (Herb and ??)
      {2} "Best of the Rest"

      DEC / Supporting Mini
      We have a number of DEC computers, off the top of my head we have
      something like
      PDP 11/05
      PDP 11/20
      PDP 11/40
      PDP 11/73
      DEC Rainbow
      terminals, drives, printers, you name it.

      Herb's biggest challenge is to decide exactly what to display. He
      will have one full wall similar in size to the Camp Evans exhibit in
      the other room. We could easily fill the entire room with the DEC
      equipment we have on hand. Of the available items the best restored,
      operational, and complete system will be featured. I don't want to
      speak for Herb, his plans may have changed. I will let him advise...

      "Best of the Rest"
      This space will be reserved for a worthy item or two, posters, unique
      items, etc that do not fit into the other exhibits. This exhibit will
      be along the other wall. Clean complete systems, posters,
      documentation, ads, etc. will be used. If there is not enough room
      for a best of the rest exhibit, I suggest we dedicate an entire room
      to DEC and mini's.

      More news to follow.

      Bill Degnan
    • Show all 45 messages in this topic