8001MARCH outpost report...Re: [midatlanticretro] Too Many Games is this Sunday

  • Herb Johnson
    May 8 6:36 AM
      Dan, thanks for the comprehensive report on the previous year's
      hamfest, in anticipation of the upcoming one. I'm interested in
      attending, but here's the problem.

      Chances are, I'd either take someone or go with someone to split the
      cost of gas, which will be considerable. From the Trenton NJ area, at
      25 MPG, $3.50/gal gas, and a distance of 350 miles to Butler PA, it's
      $48 EACH WAY to drive. Gas may be $4 a gallon by then.

      If I'm a seller, I'd be in trouble. I'll report seperately in the
      thread about the YouTube video of the TCF. But people attending don't
      want to buy anything old, they don't KNOW what "old" stuff is. And I
      have nothing "new" enough to bring.

      Now, it's possible that vintage computerists could create an
      opportunity to work with hamfests to bring out "vintage" computer
      stuff. Set up mostly displays and do some trading. But I'm aware that
      some of the remaining hamfest organizers and attendees have
      some...antipathy... about how the new computer sellers crowded the
      radio amateurs out, several years ago when it was popular to sell new
      computer parts at hamfests. Will these guys be happy to see OLD
      computer parts and systems now? I don't know, and I'd be curious to
      hear some reactions.

      But, Dan, I'm glad to hear there is still a large hamfest in
      operation. In this area, say Maryland to Conn. along the east coast,
      I'd say the largest hamfest is the one early in the season
      (March/April) in Timonium MD at their fairgrounds. I did not go this
      year due to time and expense (that one was about $35 in gas each way).
      But that one has become small enough that the organizers included an
      *arts and crafts* show of some sort. I dunno....

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic