7954Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP-8 ... On display

  • David Gesswein
    May 2, 2008
      > the plotter on the left
      > - what is the nameplate: IBM or CalComp?

      > - do you have all the pen accessories?
      The screw on top and solenoid metal core the pen rides in are missing. From
      looking at mine it looks like someone with a lathe should be able to make
      a functional replacement. No other bits came with it.

      Pictures that show the pen holder & plotter are here

      > - is it interfaced to anything?
      It has an interface cable with some electronics which if I understand
      correctly they used to hook it up to the PDP-8 console port to generate
      the step pulses.

      > The reason I ask: I have an identical IBM 1627 plotter complete with
      > manual, both wood boxes of accessories, and lotsa paper rolls for it!
      If you could spare some paper for the museum that would be nice.

      For the pickup roll did it use the cardbord core the paper came on?
      Both mine and the museum one didn't have a pickup roll. I used a piece
      of plastic pipe.

      What accessories did yours come with?

      I have the big brother, the 563 interfaced to my PDP-8.
      http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml. Brought it to the last
      VCF east. http://www.pdp8online.com/shows/vcfe07/vcfe07.shtml

      When I was looking for paper it seems to be unobtainable in pin feed
      30 ish" that mine needs. I finally found 1 1/2 rolls from someone who
      used to have a plotter. For demos I have been using pinfeed printer
      paper. For pens I have cut down normal ballpoints but
      the small tips it needs also seem to be getting hard to find.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic