7399Ebay and Vintage Comp Sales (to keep this on topic)

    Mar 5, 2008
      <snip>

      >I don't hate ebay, but I am dissatisfied with their performance, and
      >for what they do charge, we should get better. They've changed their
      >website considerably to appease the professional sellers, but they've
      >done very little to make life easier for the junk sellers, who were
      >(and I think still are) their core audience.
      >
      >Sorry for the long and offtopic rant, but I was asked the question so I
      >thought I'd answer it.
      >
      >TTYL
      >Brian C.

      I understand better where the dissent is coming from - the junk sellers
      feel squeezed out.

      My company engineers applications like Ebay (if we could only get their
      contract!) and I personally use Ebay to sell about as much as I buy. I
      used their tools to create a re-usable template or two, and I sell
      everything starting at 99 cents even if it's worth $10,000. I calculate
      and then add their fees into the advertised shipping and handling
      charges. Simple, fast, and it works for me. I am usually surprised at how
      *well* my auctions do. Case in point, last week I sold an IEEE to PET
      cable for over $100, starting at 99 cents. Have you ever seen an
      IEEE-->PET cable go for more on another site?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270214790828

      Like everything else, you just have to know how to work the system, take
      good pics, and avoid situations where you need to contact Ebay. Phone
      support for a web site is not in the idiom for the media.