7289RE: [midatlanticretro] March 29/30 at InfoAge - Restoration Committee kickoff

    Feb 25, 2008
      Hola, MARCHins.

      Sorry if my replies (in general) have been slow these past few weeks. I
      started a new job last month which is keeping me MUCH busier than my
      previous job. On the other hand, it's more fun, too. (Tomorrow through
      Thursday I will be on a business trip and probably won't respond at all.)

      With that out of the way, I'll say this: thumbs-up to BD for taking the lead
      on this next work weekend! I really appreciate MARCH folks doing things on
      their own without my prodding. :) Too many times in the past year or two or
      three, I tried doing everything myself, and that wasn't a good decision.

      Everything BD said in his message is spot-on.

      Just a few comments of my own:

      - If/when we decide to let individual members take systems home with them
      for restoration, then we'll need the work completed in August, not
      September, so we still have time to get the exhibits together for Sept.
      13-14. We don't want to be rushing to get everything together when we have
      the big show happening. The main reason for the September timeframe is to
      give us EXTRA time for the museum, so waiting until the last week wouldn't
      be healthy.

      - We'll try as a group to decide which systems should be restored by which
      members. I think it'd be terrific if some of our older/more experienced
      members could mentor some of our younger/less experienced members in that
      regard. So working in small teams is a plus!

      - My personal plan is to get there early and be there the whole damn time
      re: March 29-30. We certainly should all plan to have some fun the evening
      of the 29th.

      - I'll try to make time for tours of InfoAge, especially for anyone who
      still hasn't been there and/or for anyone who just hasn't been there lately
      ... lots of exciting things happening on campus. Then again, we don't want
      to dilly-dally like we have in past work days (myself included).