6925Re: Slow modems

  • fieldfan1
    Jan 26, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Harvey
      <fieldhippieryan@...> wrote:

      > I never did have to endure dial-up. All my life I have been spoiled
      with high-speed ethernet and wireless. I am back on the cord, though.
      I finally convinced my folks to let me run it. So I have a cord going
      from the router, along the ceiling, and into a wired router in my room.
      > Back on topic!
      > 1200 baud isn't too bad. Seems I never have used faster and only
      in the last few days have used dial-up BBSing I didn't know how fast
      it should be. I didn't know if I should get the fast scrolling text or
      it all in one blast. The text scrolling at 1200 baud is pretty good.
      It can load an entire large paragraph in just a few seconds, faster
      than I can read. The ASCII graphics take longer, about 2x or more
      longer for an entire screen of them, but during that time I tend to
      get tea or stir whatever I am cooking, or just something that only
      takes about a minute. I use a color monitor for my computer, but a
      green screen wouldn't be so bad. I don't use one because I leave my PC
      on all day. With color I can turn the screen off. On my IBM I can do
      essentially the same thing. But on my AT&T, there is no power to turn
      off. I would have to totally unplug the screen to avoid burn-in. Back
      in the day to keep your battery charged(if you had one) you just used
      your computer. Of course,
      > back then PCs were used about as much as today and you scrolled
      through alot of text so you had no burn-in worries. On the subject,
      how long does it take for burn-in to occur, and can a color monitor
      experience burn? I have never had any burns because I am always
      catious about leaving one thing on my screen, and thus have no clue
      about the timing for that. It I can find a faster 8-bit modem(I may
      have one) I will likely up the ante on my AT&T PC 6300. 2400 baud
      would be enough.

      > --Ryan

      Try it now.

      My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20 with a 300 baud VIC modem,
      but I did most of my early telecom on an Atari 800XL with first a 300
      baud and then a 2400 baud modem. 2400 was amazingly fast to me back then.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic